This cozy coverup is a perfect project to complete on a snowy day.
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn in 8-ounce skeins (Karen used Red Heart Super Saver yarn)—three skeins of Soft White and one skein each of Paddy Green and Hot Red
- size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- yarn needle or size 16 tapestry needle
Gauge: 15 scs and 16 rows = 4 inches. Each block with borders is about 11 inches high x 12 inches wide. To save time, take time to check gauge.
Stitches used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
Reading chart: Each square on chart represents 1 sc. Each color on chart represents the color of yarn used. Read chart from right to left on odd-numbered rows and from left to right on even-numbered rows. Download Afghan Chart.
Roll a separate ball of yarn for every color change. Do not carry yarn across the back. When changing colors, drop current color without fastening off so that the color can be picked up again when it is needed on the next row. For short distances only, lay the unused color along the top of the row and sc around it so the end will be in the proper position to change colors.
Changing colors: One st before color change, pull up a lp as if to sc and drop first color to wrong side of work; yo and pull new color through 2 lps on hk to finish the sc.
DIRECTIONS: TREE BLOCK (make 12):
- Row 1 (RS): With Soft White, ch 36, sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch: count 35 scs.
- Row 2: Ch 1, turn; sc in each sc across row: count 35 scs.
- Rows 3-33: Ch 1, turn; following chart for colors, sc in each sc across row. Do not fasten off at end of Row 33.
- Borders: B-Rnd 1: Ch 1; * work 3 scs in corner, sc in end of each row to next corner, work 3 scs in corner, sc in each st to next corner; rep from * one more time; join with a sl st in beg-sc. Fasten off.
- B-Rnd 2: With a slip knot of Paddy Green on hk, join yarn with a sc in any sc of B-Rnd 1; * sc to center sc of next corner, work 3 scs in center sc; rep from * around, ending with a sc in each sc to beg, sl st in beg st. Fasten off.
- B-Rnd 3: Working in the back lp only of each st around, rep B-Rnd 2 with Hot Red.
- B-Rnd 4: Working in the back lp only of each st around, rep B-Rnd 2 with Soft White.
- ASSEMBLY: With trees all facing in same direction and all blocks facing right side up, lay out three vertical rows of four blocks. With yarn or tapestry needle and Soft White, whipstitch blocks together to make three vertical rows. Whipstitch rows together.
- EDGING: Attach Soft White with a sc in any sc along edge of afghan and sc around the piece with 3 scs in each corner. Fasten off. Use yarn or tapestry needle to weave in loose ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan is about 45 inches long x 37 inches wide.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Yuletide Pine Afghan from Karen Burmeister of Racine, Wisconsin