Turn an old T-shirt green by recycling it into a produce grocery bag with this eco-friendly craft idea.
- Recycled t-shirt
- Pen or marker
- Sewing machine
- Standard sewing supplies
- Quilter’s ruler
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- Turn recycled t-shirt inside out. Use pen or marker to draw a curved bag shape on the chest area. Cut out both front and back pieces. With edges matching, pin in place.
- Sew a straight stitch around the curved edge of the pieces to join together. If desired, finish edge with a zigzag stitch.
- With bag laying flat on cutting mat, use quilter’s ruler and rotary cutter to make staggered cuts ½ to 1 in. apart in rows along the length of the bag. Be careful not to cut through the side seam. Stop cutting slits about 4 in. from the top straight edge allowing room for the handle. (If you don’t have a quilter’s ruler and rotary cutter, use scissors instead marking cut lines with a pen.)
- About an inch or more from the top edge, cut a long slit for the handle. If desired, cut the handle sides curved. Turn right side out.
- Stretch and wash the bag if desired. Use for carrying produce or craft supplies, or as a beach bag.
T-Shirt Produce Bags craft idea c/o Country Woman’s featured blogger Delia of Delia Creates.
To read more about Delia and her blog, check out our blog and craft spotlight.