T-Shirt Pillows: Dress Up a Dorm
Mini throw pillows—covered with recycled T-shirts—bring a touch of home to dorm room decor.
Recycle old or outgrown T-shirts from sports teams, fun runs, clubs or music camps, and stuff with small amounts of fiberfill. Photography by Grace Natoli Sheldon/RDA-MKE.
- T-shirt, washed and pressed
- Quilter's ruler
- Rotary cutter with cutting mat
- Standard sewing supplies
- Polyester fiberfill
- Compass (for round pillows)
- Place T-shirt, right side out, facing up on cutting mat.
- Using rotary cutter and quilter’s ruler, cut out the shirt’s graphic, leaving about 3-1/2 in. on all sides and cutting through both front and back layers of shirt. (For a circular pillow, use a compass to draw the cutting outline.)
- Place front and back pieces right sides facing and pin in place.
- Using a straight stitch and 1/2-in. seam allowance, sew along edges of pinned pieces. Leave a 3-in. opening for turning.
- Turn right side out and stuff with fiberfill. Stitch opening closed.