This summer craft can be used as a doorstop or a DIY centerpiece.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 6 cups moist sand
- Sand castle molds of various shapes and sizes
- Nautical rope, rocks and seashells
- In a saucepan, combine flour and sugar. Gradually add cold water; mix well. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens to pudding consistency.
- Place sand in a large pail; stir in flour mixture. When cool to the touch, mix together with your hands, adding more water if needed so that sand holds its shape. Firmly pack into molds. Invert on a flat surface; remove molds.
- Let dry completely before handling. Depending on the humidity, this may take a few days.
- To create a centerpiece, weave rope between the sand castles; fill in with sand, rocks and seashells.
- Stir the warm flour mixture into the sand. When cool to the touch, mix together with your hands.
- Firmly pack sand mixture into sand castle molds.
- Unmold onto a flat surface. Let stand until completely dry.
Note: The sand mixture will keep for weeks when stored in an airtight container.