Gift-worthy tote starts as a crochet project that's then felted and shaped.
Crocheted and felted handbag
- 100% wool worsted-weight yarn (Patons Classic Merino Wool yarn shown—
see Crafter’s Note below)—two 3.5-ounce skeins of New Denim
- Size 1/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook
- Set of purse handles
- Four silver beads (Blue Moon Large Dangle Charm-Spiral beads shown)
- Yarn needle
HELPFUL ABBREVIATIONS GUIDE
ch(s) = chain(s)
hk = hook
lp = loop
sc(s) = single crochet(s)
sl st = slip stitch
Gauge: Before felting, 15 scs and 15 rows = 4 inches. Slight variation in gauge will change the finished size a bit.
Row 1: Ch 46, sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch across, turn: 45 scs.
Rows 2-9: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn: 45 scs.
At the end of Row 9, work 8 scs evenly spaced across short end of piece. Work 45 scs along opposite side of beginning ch. Work 8 scs evenly spaced across remaining short end: 106 scs.
Working in rounds, sc in front lp only of each sc around until purse measures about 12 inches from base, ending at one side of purse: 106 scs.
Sl st around top of purse to beginning sl st. Fasten off.
- To shrink and felt the crocheted piece, machine-wash piece in hot water using laundry detergent, running piece through a complete cycle that includes a cold rinse cycle. Without using detergent, repeat this process until piece measures about 10 in. wide
- x 9 in. high or desired size.
- Smooth out wrinkles and lay felted piece on a flat surface to dry. Check piece while it is drying and shape as needed to maintain desired shape.
- With matching yarn, hand-sew handles centered along top edges of front and back of purse
- Hand-sew beads just below handles.
Crocheted and Felted Handbag pattern designed by Jane Craig of Big Bend, Wisconsin.
Photo by Country Woman magazine.