The triangular pattern of this shawl requires only basic knitting—and just a small amount of crocheting—to produce.
- Specialty yarn (see shopping information)—two 50-gram balls of Trendsetter Dune novelty yarn (41% mohair, 30% acrylic, 12% viscose, 11% nylon and 6% metal) in Rose/Purple/Rust #82, four 50-gram balls of Trendsetter Zucca bulky-weight yarn (58% Tactel and 42% Polyamid) in Pink #5033 and two 50-gram balls of Schachenmayr Salsa eyelash yarn (100% polyester) in Orchidee #33
- size 17 (12.75mm) knitting needles or size needed to obtain the correct gauge
- size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook
Gauge: Working in garter st with one strand each of Dune and Salsa and two strands of Zucca, 4 sts and 4 rows = 4 inches. Slight variations in gauge will change the finished size of the shawl a bit.
Techniques/stitches used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
Garter stitch: Garter st:
- Row 1 (RS): K across row.
- Row 2 (WS): K across row.
- Rep Rows 1 and 2 as directed.
DIRECTIONS: Working with two strands of Zucca yarn and one strand each of Dune and Salsa yarns, cast on 2 sts.
- Row 1: K 1, yo, k to end of row.
- Repeat Row 1 until work measures 19 inches from beginning row.
- Next Row: K 1, yo, k across to last st, yo, k 1.
- Repeat Next Row until there are 3 yards of Zucca yarn remaining.
- Bind off, cut Zucca yarn only and fasten off cut yarn.
- Attach another strand of Salsa yarn so there are two strands of Salsa and one strand of Dune.
- Working with three strands as one and using crochet hk, [ch 2, sc into every other st along last row and into end of each row] around, join with a sl st in beg ch-2. Fasten off.
- Use the crochet hk to weave in the loose ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Triangle-shaped shawl is about 28 inches deep x 50 inches wide.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Simple and Elegant Knit Shawl from Sue Childress of Judson, Texas