Make this cozy crochet slipper pattern as a gift or to warm your own toes.
- 7(8,9) ounces of off-white 2-ply brushed acrylic mohair-like yarn (Lion Brand Jiffy yarn in Fisherman as shown)
- Small amount of 4-ply worsted-weight black yarn for sheep heads and ears
- Size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Six-strand embroidery floss—blue for eyes and pink for mouths
- Polyester stuffing
- Tapestry or yarn needle
HELPFUL ABBREVIATIONS GUIDE
ch(s) = chain(s)
dc(s) = double crochet(s)
fpdc(s) = front post double crochet(s)
hk = hook
lp(s) = loop(s)
RS = right side
sc(s) = single crochet(s)
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
tog = together
yo = yarn over
* = Instructions following asterisk are repeated as directed.
16 dcs and 7 rows = 4 inches. To save time, take time to check gauge.
lp st = loop stitch: With yarn wrapped from front to back over your left forefinger, insert crochet hk in next st as directed as if to make a sc; to form the lp of yarn, swing crochet hk behind both strands on your forefinger, draw both strands through first lp on the hk, yo and draw yarn through all lps on hk, remove your finger from lp, leaving a lp of yarn about 1 inch long.
fpdc = double crochet in front post: yo, insert hk from front to back between next two sts, then working from right to left, come up from back to front between the following two sts, yo, draw through a lp and complete the dc as usual.
CROCHET SLIPPER PATTERN DIRECTIONS:
Slipper (make 2):
Row 1: With off-white yarn, ch 40(44,48), join with a sl st in first ch made to form a ring for the ankle opening. For the instep (top of slipper), ch 16(18,20), sc in second ch from hk and in each of next 14(16,18) chs, sc in each ch of the ankle opening; working on opposite side of starting ch for the instep, sc in last 15(17,19) chs, turn: 70(78,86) scs.
Row 2: Ch 1; working in back lps only, work 1 lp st in each st, turn: 70(78,86) lp sts.
Row 3: Ch 1, working in back lps only, sc in each st, turn: 70(78,86) scs.
Rows 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14: Repeat Row 2: 70(78,86) lp sts.
Rows 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15: Repeat Row 3: 70(78,86) scs.
Rows 16-19: Repeat Row 3: 70(78,86) scs.
Row 20: For sole, fold piece so that lp sts face each other, ends of rows match and sts of Row 19 match. Working through sts of Row 19, ch 1, sl st in each of next 35(39,43) sts. Fasten off. Turn right side out.
Round 1: With RS facing and working on opposite side of starting ch of ankle opening, join off-white with a sl st in first ch, ch 3 for first dc, dc in each remaining ch around, join with a sl st in third ch of beginning ch-3. Do not turn: 40(44,48) dcs.
Round 2: Ch 3, fpdc in each st around, join with a sl st in third ch of beginning ch-3: 40(44,48) fpdcs.
Round 3: Ch 3, fpdc in next 2 sts, fpdc next 2 sts tog, * fpdc in each of next 3 sts, fpdc next 2 sts tog; repeat from * around, join with a sl st in third ch of beginning ch-3: 32(35,39) sts. Fasten off.
1. Thread tapestry or yarn needle with off-white.
2. Stitch through ends of rows along opening (toe) of slipper. Draw up yarn to close opening and fasten off.
3. Weave in all loose ends.
Sheep: Head (make 2):
Round 1: With black, ch 2, work 6 scs in second ch from hk, do not join: 6 scs. Pull the beginning tail of yarn to close center of circle just made.
Round 2: * Sc in next st, work 2 scs in next st; repeat from * around, do not join: 9 scs.
Round 3: * Sc in next 2 sts, work 2 scs in next st; repeat from * around, do not join: 12 scs.
Round 4: * Sc in next st, work 2 scs in next st; repeat from * around, do not join: 18 scs.
Round 5: * Sc in next 2 sts, work 2 scs in next st; repeat from * around, do not join: 24 scs.
Round 6: * Sc in next 3 sts, work 2 scs in next st; repeat from * around, do not join: 30 scs.
Rounds 7-8: Sc in each st around: 30 scs. Fasten off, leaving an 8-in. length of yarn for sewing head to slipper.
Ears (make 2):
With black, ch 6, sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch across: 4 scs. Fasten off, leaving a 4-in. length of yarn for sewing ears to head.
1. Referring to photo above and stitch chart for position and stitch illustrations, use tapestry or yarn needle and unseparated blue floss to satin-stitch two eyes on the right side of each head.
2. In same way, use pink floss to satin-stitch a nose and to backstitch a mouth on each head.
3. Use tails of black yarn and tapestry or yarn needle to sew two ears to the top of each head.
4. Use tails of black yarn and tapestry or yarn needle to sew a head to the instep (top) of each slipper, stuffing head before fastening off.
5. Weave in all loose ends.
Finished Size: Directions are for adult size small slippers with a sole length of 7-3/4 inches. Changes for adult size medium with a sole length of 9-3/4 inches and adult size large with a sole length of 10-3/4 inches are in parentheses.
Editor’s Note: Replace the black and off-white yarn with a single shade of brown to create a cute teddy bear look.
Sheepish Crochet Slipper Pattern originally sent in by Kathleen Stuart of San Jose, California.
Photography by Country Woman magazine.