You'll uncover a colorful new look when you add this crocheted afghan to your home decor.
- Worsted weight yarn (Emma used Red Heart Super Saver)—four skeins of Soft White and one skein each of Hot Red, Bright Yellow, Royal, Light Coral, Light Mint and Lavender
- Size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Tapestry or yarn needle
GAUGE: Each completed motif measures about 6-1/2 inches square.
- Main color: MC (Soft White)
- Contrasting color: CC (Hot Red, Bright Yellow, Royal, Light Coral, Light Mint or Lavender)
- Treble crochet front post: trfp: Tr around post of indicated st on right side of work.
MOTIFS: Make nine each with Hot Red and Bright Yellow as CC yarn and eight each with Royal, Light Coral, Light Mint and Lavender as CC yarn for a total of 50 motifs.
- Round 1: With MC, ch 5, join with a sl st in first ch to form a ring, ch 3 for first dc, work 11 dcs in ring, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch-3: 12 dcs. Fasten off.
- Round 2: Join CC with sl st in sp between any 2 sts of Round 1, ch 3 for first dc, dc in same sp, * ch 1, work 2 dcs in next sp between sts; repeat from * around, ch 1, join with a sl st to top of beginning ch-3: 24 dcs. Fasten off.
- Round 3: With MC and a sl knot on hk, sc in any ch-1 sp of Round 2, * trfp of next dc in Round 1, sc in same ch-1 sp, ch 2, sc in next ch-1 sp; repeat from * around, ending last repeat with ch 2, join with a sl st in beginning sc: 12 trs.
- Round 4: Sl st to first tr, ch 5, dc in same tr, * ch 1, dc in next sp, ch 1, hdc in next tr, ch 1, sc in next sp, ch 1, hdc in next tr, ch 1, dc in next sp, ch 1, work (dc, ch 2, dc) shell in next tr; repeat from * around, ending last repeat with dc in next sp, ch 1, join with a sl st in third ch of beginning ch-5: 28 ch-sps.
- Round 5: * Work 3 scs in ch-2 sp of shell (corner), work 2 scs in each ch-1 sp to next ch-2 sp; repeat from * around to beginning sc, join with a sl st in beginning sc: 60 scs. Fasten off.
- Round 6: With CC and a sl knot on hk, sc in center corner sc, work 2 more scs in same st, * sc in each sc to next corner, work 3 scs in center corner sc; repeat from * around to beginning sc, join with a sl st in beginning sc: 68 scs. Fasten off.
- Round 7: Join MC with a sl st in any center corner sc, ch 5, dc in same st, * dc in each sc to next corner, work (dc, ch 2, dc) shell in center corner sc; repeat from * around to beginning corner, join with a sl st in third ch of beginning ch-5: 72 sts and 4 ch-2 sps.
- Round 8: Ch 1, sc in same st, * work 3 scs in ch-2 sp of corner shell, sc in each dc to next corner; repeat from * around to beginning sc, join with a sl st in beginning sc: 84 sts. Fasten off.
ASSEMBLY: Lay out completed motifs right side up as shown in Fig 1. With MC yarn and tapestry or yarn needle, sew motifs together with wrong sides facing, stitching from center corner st to center corner st, catching matching outside stitches only of each motif and working 2 stitches in each corner where the motifs join.
BORDER: With MC, sl knot on hk and right side of afghan facing, sc in any sc on side of motif where shown on layout, *sc in each sc to last st before inner corner of joined motifs, sc last sc of this motif and first sc of next motif together, sc in each sc to next corner, work 3 scs in center sc of outer corner; repeat from * around afghan, working 3 scs in center sc of two outer corners of corner motifs, join with a sl st in beginning sc. Fasten off.
- Use the tapestry or yarn needle to weave in all of the loose ends on the afghan.
- Attach fringe to outer corners of motifs on opposite narrow ends of afghan, matching yarn to contrasting colors of each motif.
- For fringe, cut six 16-in.-long pieces of yarn. Fold yarn in half, working with all pieces as one. Use crochet hook to pull loop of yarn through outer corner of motif. Slip ends of yarn through loop and pull to tighten loop around yarn ends. Trim ends of fringe even to desired length.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan measures about 55 inches x 46 inches without tassels.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- hk hook
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sl slip
- sp(s) space(s)
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tr(s) treble crochet(s)
- * Instructions following asterisk are repeated a given number of times or as directed.
- ( ) Instructions within parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Rainbow Crocheted Afghan from Emma Willey of Roseburg, Oregon