This quick and easy zippered crochet pouch holds your stash in fun and colorful style.
- US-G, 4.00mm hook, or hook one size smaller than recommended on label
- 190 yds DK/Sport weight (Tamara used Lion Brand LB Collection Cotton Bamboo), or yarn in weight of your choice
- Sewing needle or Sharp Crochet Hook
- Thread to match zipper
- Crochet thread, mercerized (if using Sharp Crochet Hook)
SPECIAL STITCHES: Refer to crocheting abbreviations below. Before beginning, see video tutorial for overlapping post stitch pattern.
SPECIAL TOOLS: A Sharp Crochet Hook can be used instead of a sewing needle.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- fptrc front post treble crochet
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- sl st slip stitch
- st(s) stitch(es)
- * Instructions after * are repeated a given number of times
- Row 1: With Color A, ch 40. Hdc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch to end. Turn. (39 sts)
- Row/Round 2: Ch 1, hdc in each st to end of row. Turning to work in the side, hdc in the side of the first st of Row 1. Turning again, hdc in each ch of the starting ch, opposite the first row of hdc sts. With one more clockwise turn, hdc in the side of the last st of Row 1 and join to the first st of Row 2 with a sl st, to begin working in the round. Do not turn. (80 sts)
- Round 3: Ch 2 (does not count as first st), dc in each st around. Join with a sl st to first dc. (80 sts)
- Round 4: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join with sl st to first sc. (80 sts)
- Round 5: Ch 2, fptrc around dc below the first st. Dc into the next st. *Fptrc around the st below the next st, dc in the next st. Repeat from * to end. Join with a sl st to first fptrc. (80 sts)
- Round 6: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join with sl st to first sc. (80 sts)
- Round 7: Ch 2, dc in the 1st st, fptrc around st below next st. *Dc in the next st, fptrc around the st below the next st. Repeat from * to end. Join with a sl st to first dc. (80 sts)
- Round 8: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join with sl st to first sc, using the next color. (80 sts)
- Round 9-12: With Color B, repeat Rounds 5-8.
- Round 13-16: With Color C, repeat Rounds 5-8.
- Round 17-20: With Color D, repeat Rounds 5-8.
- Round 21-24: With Color E, repeat Rounds 5-8. Add more stripes in pattern for a taller bag if desired.
- Round 25: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join to first sc with sl st. (80 sts)
- Round 26: Sl st in each st around. Break yarn and seamless join. (Tutorial here)
- Measure the length of zipper needed. If the zipper is too long, sew a new stopper with matching thread, by sewing around the zipper repeatedly so it cannot open.
- Working into Round 26, attach the zipper. If you’re using a needle and thread, sew it on with the back stitch (tutorial here). If you are using the Sharp Hook and crochet thread, use the Surface Crochet method (tutorial here).
- Crochet using pattern from Fiber Flux: One Round Cloud.
- Sew to pouch.
CROCHET POUCH – FINISHED SIZE: 6-1/2 in. high x 9-1/2 in. wide
Rainbow Crochet Pouch c/o Country Woman’s featured blogger Tamara Kelly of Moogly. Photos by Tamara Kelly.
To read more about Tamara and her blog, check out our blog and crafter spotlight.