Craft this Quilted Valentine's Day Wall Hanging for your wall or as a welcome sign on your door.
- Printable Craft Pattern (Below)
- Paper-backed fusible web
- 44-inch-wide 100% cotton fabrics—
1/6 yard of light print for background squares,
1/8 yard of green print for sashing and inner
border, 1/8 yard of red print for outer border,
1/6 yard or three 4-1/2-inch squares of three
different red prints for heart appliques, 1/2
yard of coordinating print for backing
- All-purpose thread to match fabrics
- 12-inch x 24-inch piece of lightweight quilt batting
- Three 6-inch squares of tear-away stabilizer
- Quilter’s marking pen or pencil
- Quilter’s ruler
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Assorted trims (Mary used buttons, lace trim,
crocheted trim and a ribbon rose to trim her
- Standard sewing supplies
- To begin Quilted Wall Hanging Craft, download printable heart patterns here.
- From light print background fabric, cut three 6-1-/2-inch x 6-1/2-inch pieces for background squares.
- From green print fabric, cut two 1-inch x 6-inch crosswise strips for sashing, two 1-inch x 18-inch strips and two 1-inch x 7-inch strips for inner border.
- From red print, cut two 2-inch x 19-inch crosswise strips and two 2-inch x 10-inch strips for outer border.
- From backing fabric, cut one 12-inch x 24-inch piece for backing and one 3-inch-wide strip for hanging sleeve equal to the finished width of the wall hanging.
- Trace traditional or folk art heart pattern onto paper side of fusible web three times, leaving at least 1/2 inch between shapes.
- Cut shapes apart, leaving a margin of paper around each.
- Fuse each heart to wrong side of three different red print fabrics, following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Cut out hearts and fuse one to center of each 6-1/2-inch background square.
- Sew on lace pieces as shown, trim ends even with heart edge.
- Center stabilizer on back of each background square.
- With matching thread, satin-stitch around hearts. Pull loose threads to back and fasten off.
- Trim each background square to an accurate 6-inch square.
Sew wall hanging together with accurate 1/4-inch seams. Press seams as directed.
Lay out the three appliqued blocks in a vertical or horizontal row, sew a 1-inch x 6-inch sashing strip between the blocks and press seams toward sashings.
- Sew a 1-inch x 18-inch inner border strip to opposite long edges of the pieced wall hanging. Press seams toward inner borders.
- Sew a 1-inch x 7-inch inner border strip to opposite narrow edges of wall hanging. Press seams toward inner borders.
- Sew a 2-inch x 19-inch outer border to opposite long edges of wall hanging. Press seams toward outer border.
- Sew a 2-inch x 10-inch outer border to opposite narrow edges of wall hanging. Press seams toward outer border.
- Trim wall hanging to a 10-inch x 22-inch rectangle.
- Place batting on a flat surface and center backing, right side up, on top of batting. Center wall hanging, wrong side up, on top of backing. Pin or baste as needed to hold.
- Sew around wall hanging, stitching 1/4 inch from outside edge of wall hanging and leaving an opening for turning.
- Trim excess batting and backing even with raw edge of wall hanging. Trim corners diagonally.
- Turn right side out through opening. Turn raw edge of opening in and hand-sew opening closed.
- Straight-stitch around outer edge of satin stitching on hearts.
- Stitch in-the-ditch around each background square and the inner border.
- Stitch 1/4 from outside edges of wall hanging.
- Hand-sew buttons, ribbon rose and other trims to hearts.
- Turn narrow ends of hanging sleeve twice to the wrong side and sew close to first fold to hem.
- Fold hanging sleeve in half lengthwise and sew long raw edges together with a narrow seam to make a tube. Turn tube right side out.
- Center seam on back and press.
- Center hanging sleeve with seam facing back along top back of wall hanging. Hand-sew top and bottom folds of hanging sleeve to top back of wall hanging.