This cozy and warm afghan is great for cuddling up with on chilly nights.
GAUGE: Four (1 puff, picot, ch 1) sts and five rows=3 inches.
Stitches used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
- Puff: *Yo, insert hk in st or sp as instructed, yo and draw through a ½-inch-long lp; rep from * three more times in same st or sp; yo, draw yarn through all lps on hk, ch 1 to close.
- Picot: Ch 4, sl st in fourth ch from hk.
- Changing colors: Yo, insert hk in next st and draw yarn through so there are 3 lps on hk, yo, draw yarn through 2 lps on hk; drop first color, yo, draw new color through 2 lps on hk. Cut old color, leaving a long enough tail for weaving.
- Row 1 (RS): With Slate Blue, ch 183. Dc in fourth and fifth chs from hk; make (1 puff, picot, ch 1) in next ch; * sk 2 chs, make (1 puff, picot, ch 1) in next ch; rep from * across row until 3 chs remain; work 1 dc in each of last 3 chs; count 3 dcs at each end of row and 59 puff sts in between.
- Row 2 (WS): Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc here and throughout), turn, sk first dc and dc in each of next 2 dcs; * ch 2, sl st in picot; rep from * across row, ending with sk last puff, dc in each of last 2 dcs and in top of turning ch-3, changing to Dark Slate Blue as you complete the last dc.
- Row 3: Ch 3, turn, sk first dc and dc in each of next 2 dcs; * make (1 puff, picot, ch 1) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * across row, ending with 1 dc in each of last 2 dcs and in top of turning ch-3.
- Row 4: Rep Row 2, changing to Light Slate Blue as you finish the last dc.
- Row 5: Rep Row 3.
- Row 6: Rep Row 2, changing to Slate Blue as you finish the last dc.
- Row 7: Rep Row 3.
- Continue to rep Rows 2 through 7, changing colors as established until afghan measures 55 inches or desired length and ending with Slate Blue. Fasten off. Use tapestry needle to weave in loose ends.
- Fringe: For each fringe, cut four 15-inch lengths of Slate Blue yarn. Hold four strands together and fold them in half, then insert hook in a ch-2 sp on first or last row of afghan and catch the fold of yarn pieces. Pull the fold through the stitch just enough to form a loop and draw the yarn ends through this loop. Pull the ends to form a knot around the stitch. Trim fringe to 6 inches.
- Add fringe to each ch-2 sp of first and last rows in the same way.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan without fringe is about 55 inches long x 45 inches wide.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or  Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- () instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Puff-Striped Afghan from Nancy Hearne of Marysville, California