Knit this sweater as a gift or warm wearable for a special little girl.
- Precious Girl’s Knitted Sweater Pattern (Below)
- DK weight yarn in color of choice—500(580,700) yards (Cabin Fever Cotton Tweed #CT005 Lemon yarn shown)
- Size 5 (3.75mm) 24-inch circular needle and double pointed needles or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Size F (3.73mm) crochet hook
- Four stitch holders
- Four coordinating 3/8-inch shank buttons
- Yarn or tapestry needle
HELPFUL ABBREVIATION GUIDE
K = Knit
P = Purl
Sts = Stitch(es)
Tog = Together
[ ] = Instructions between brackets are repeated as directed.
ch(s) = chain(s)
dec = decrease
hk = hook
RS = right side
sc(s) = single crochet(s)
ssk = skip, skip knit
sk = skip
WS = wrong side
Yo = yarn over
- 22 sts and 31 rows = 4 inches. To save time, take time to check gauge.
- St st = Stockinette stitch
- Row 1 (RS): K across row
- Row 2: P across row
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2.
- Pattern 1: Lace Flowers, from this downloadable chart. Precious Girl’s Knitted Sweater Craft Pattern
- Pattern 2: Mock Cable
- Row 1 (RS): K 2, p 1, * k2tog leaving both sts on needle, insert right-hand needle between the 2 sts and k the first st again (st closest to tip of needle) then slip both stitches off needle. P 1, repeat from * to last 2 sts, end with k 2.
- Row 2: P 2, * k 1, p 2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for pattern.
- Cast on 138(150,162) sts on circular needle.
- Work 6(6,8) rows even in St st, ending with a WS row: 138(150,162) sts.
TURNING ROW (RS):
- K 1, * yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last st, k 1: 138(150,162) sts.
- Continue working in St st as established for 8(8,10) rows, ending with a WS row: 138(150,162) sts.
- Work Pattern 1 (reading chart from right to left on RS rows and left to right on WS rows) beginning and ending at indicated stitches for size worked.
- Repeat Rows 1-20 of chart for a total of 40(50,60) rows.
- Work 8 rows of St st, then separate front and back sections by placing first and last 35(38,41) sts on stitch holders.
- With RS facing, attach yarn and begin Pattern 2 on back 68(74,80) sts for 1 inch, ending with a WS row.
- Continue in St st until armhole measures 4(4-1/4,4-1/2) inches, ending with a WS row.
- Next Row: Work 22(23,24) sts, attach a second ball of yarn. Bind off center 24(28,32) sts and work to end. Working both sides at the same time, dec 1 st at neck edge twice, then work even until armhole measures 4-1/4(4-1/2,4-3/4 inches.
- Place remaining 20(21,22) sts on holder.
UPPER RIGHT FRONT:
- Place 35(38,41) sts of right front on needle, attach yarn and work to match back until armhole measures 2-1/2(2-3/4,3) inches, ending with a WS row.
- Bind off at beginning of RS rows 7(9,11) sts once, 3 sts once, 2 sts once, then dec 1 st at neck edge on every row three times: 20(21,22) sts.
- Work even until front measures same as back.
- Place remaining 20(21,22) sts on stitch holder.
- Work to correspond to right front, reversing shaping.
SLEEVES (WORK EACH SEPARATELY):
- Attach front to back at shoulders using three-needle bind off.
- Beginning at underarm and using double point needles, pick up 50(54,58) sts evenly spaced around opening.
- Place marker at underarm and work in the round from this point.
- Work even until sleeve measures 2-1/2(3,4) inches.
- Next Row: K 1, ssk, work to last 3 sts of round, k2tog, k 1. Continue decreasing in this way every 6(6,8) rows, 4(5,6) more times: 40(42,44) sts.
- Work even until sleeve measures 7-1/2(8-1/2,11) inches.
- Turning Row: Work as for body of sweater.
- K 8 rounds.
- Bind off loosely.
- Turn up hem around bottom edge of body and each sleeve. Sew edge into place with matching yarn.
- With RS facing and beginning at lower right front edge, attach yarn and work 1 row of evenly spaced scs up right front, around neck opening and down left front. Turn. Ch 2, work sc in second ch from hk, * ch 3, sk 1 sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * to end. Fasten off.
- On left front, sew four buttons opposite ch-3 loops beginning at neck and ending at the bottom of Pattern 2.
- Weave in all loose ends.
Finished Size: Precious Girl’s Knitted Sweater is a child’s 18 months (22-inch chest); changes for Size 2 (24 inches) and size 4 (26 inches) given in parentheses.
Precious Girl’s Knitted Sweater Craft originally sent in by Susan Gressman of Columbia, Missouri