Quilt this patriotic craft project as a accent for your home on the 4th of July, Memorial Day or Labor Day.
- Patriotic Biscuit Quilt Pattern (Below)
- 44-inch-wide 100% cotton fabric—2-1/4 yards of blue, 3-3/8 yards of red and
- 3-1/4 yards of white for front of quilt, 7-1/2 yards of muslin for lining of biscuit units, and 8-1/2 yards of a coordinating print for backing and self bindi
- All-purpose thread to match fabrics
- Polyester stuffing
- Quilter's ruler
- Rotary cutter and mat
- White crochet cotton or yarn
- Large-eye hand-sewing needle
- Standard sewing supplies
- Download and print Patriotic Biscuit Quilt Craft Pattern
- Wash all fabrics as many times as needed until rinse water runs clear. Then dry and press all fabrics
- Cut 5-inch squares for biscuit units as follows: 186 from blue fabric, 270 from red fabric and 272 from white.
- From muslin, cut 728 4-inch squares to back biscuit units.
- Place a 5-inch colored fabric square atop a 4-inch muslin square, wrong sides facing. Match corners of the two squares and pin each corner, bunching fabric between corners.
- Pleat and pin the excess colored fabric on three sides of the square as shown in Fig. 1 below. Stitch pleats in place, stitching a scant 1/4 inch from the raw edges on three sides.
- Insert a bit of stuffing through the remaining side’s opening. Pleat, pin and stitch the fourth side as before. See Fig. 2 below for completed biscuit unit.
- Repeat, using all colored and muslin squares and a similar amount of stuffing to make 728 biscuit units.
- Referring to layout diagram below, place completed units, right side up, in 28 rows of 26 biscuit units each.
- Sew biscuits in each row together with right sides facing and an accurate 1/4-inch seam. Then sew rows together the same way.
- Cut backing fabric in half crosswise. With right sides facing and edges matching, sew two long edges together with a 1/2-inch seam. Press seam open.
- Place backing wrong side up on a flat surface. Center completed top, right side up, on top of backing. Baste as needed to hold layers and outer edges together.
- Thread large-eye needle with a double strand of heavy white thread or yarn.
- Stitch across intersection between squares where desired, backstitch in same place and tie a square knot, leaving a 2-inch length. Carol tied her quilt at three block intervals.)
- Trim backing fabric, leaving a 3/4-inch margin of fabric on all sides.
- Fold outer edge of backing 1/4 inch to wrong side on all edges. Fold backing to front, covering edges of blocks and making a 3/8-inch-wide self-binding.
- Hand- or machine-sew fold of binding to front of quilt.
- Remove basting to complete your Patriotic Biscuit Quilt.
Patriotic Biscuit Quilt Craft originally sent in by Carol Wire of Madison, South Dakota