Stitch this cozy needle-felted throw pillow accented with needle-felting and embroidery.
- Tracing paper and pencil
- ½ yard of 60-in.-wide dark green sweatshirt fabric
- Matching all-pupose thread
- 1 ½ yards of upholstery cording
- Wool roving: small amount each of black, lime green, orange, red and white
- Felting needle and mat
- Six-strand embroidery floss: dark brown, orange and white
- Embroidery needle
- Light transfer paper
- 2 3/8-in black sew-through buttons
- 12-in. square pillow form
- Standard sewing supplies
- From sweatshirt fabric, cut two 13-inch squares for front and back of pillow. Also cut four 2-inch x 18-inch lengthwise strips for piping.
- Download Needle-Felted Snowman Pillow patterns. Trace snowman and snowflake patterns onto tracing paper with pencil. Place snowman pattern on one square of sweatshirt fabric for pillow front. Slip transfer paper between pattern and fabric. Trace over lines with pencil to transfer design.
- Referring to the photo for position, transfer three snowflakes the same as before.
- Place white wool roving inside the snowman outline for the white areas, twisting strands slightly so edges are somewhat smooth and follow the outline of the shape.
- Place pillow front on felting mat. Insert and remove felting needle with an up-and-down motion to lock the fibers together. Add more roving and continue needle felting as needed to fill in the snowman shape.
- In the same way, add the orange nose, black hat, black eye and red-and-green scarf.
- Separate brown six-strand floss and thread embroidery needle with three strands. Chain-stitch each stick arm. (See chain stitch illustration on downloadable pattern .pdf.)
- In the same way, use white floss to add the three snowflakes and snow line below snowman. Use orange floss to add curl to tip of nose.
- Use black floss to sew buttons to snowman.
- Sew short ends of piping strips together with a diagonal seam. Trim each to a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Press seams open.
- Place cording on center of wrong side of piping strip. Wrap fabric around strip and use a zipper foot to sew along length of strip close to cording, encasing cording.
- Starting at the bottom of the pillow, pin piping strip to pillow front with edges matching. Sew around pillow, stitching just inside previous stitching on piping strip and clipping piping strip at each corner. Trim ends of cording so they meet at the center bottom. Fold back piping strip and lap it over the beginning of the strip. Sew ends in place.
- Pin pillow front and back pieces together with right sides together and edges matching.
- Sew around pillow with a 1/2-inch seam, leaving an opening for turning. Trim corners diagonally and turn pillow right side out.
- Insert pillow form. Turn the raw edges of the opening in and hand-sew opening closed.
FINISHED SIZE: Needle-Felted Snowman Pillow measures about 12 inches square; needle-felted design measures about 9 1/2 inches high by 4 1/4 inches wide.
Needle-Felted Snowman Pillow craft designed by Loretta Mateik of Petaluma, California. Needle-Felted Snowman Pillow craft photography by Country Woman magazine.