Craft this Kris Moose Ornament to hang on your Christmas tree.
- Patterns (Below)
- Tracing paper and pencil
- 7-inch x 12-inch piece of plaid wool or flannel fabric for body and scarf
- Felt—5-inch x 7-inch piece of brown for head and ears, and 2-inch x 5-inch piece of tan for antlers
- All-purpose thread—brown and color to match plaid fabric
- Black quilting thread or six-strand embroidery floss for nostrils
- Two coordinating 1/2-inch four-hole buttons
- Two 7mm black beads for eyes
- Polyester stuffing
- 8-inch length of 2-ply jute string for hanger
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Standard sewing supplies
- Download and print Craft Pattern
- Trace patterns at right onto folded tracing paper as directed on patterns. Cut out and open each for complete patterns.
- Cut a 3/4-in.-wide x 12-in.-long piece of plaid fabric for scarf. Cut 3/4-in.-long fringe along each narrow edge of scarf.
- Fold remaining plaid fabric in half with right sides facing. Pin body pattern to fabric with grain lines matching. Sew around outside edges of body pattern, leaving straight bottom edge open for turning.
- Trim excess fabric away, cutting 1/8 in. outside stitching.
- Turn body inside out. Stuff body firmly.
- Turn raw edges in and hand-sew opening closed with matching thread.
- Pin head pattern to a double layer of brown felt. Cut out head piece following pattern outline.
- Pin ear pattern to a double layer of remaining brown felt. Cut out ears following outline of pattern. Fold each ear in half along fold line of pattern. With matching thread, stitch close to straight edge of each ear.
- With edges matching and fold at the top, pin straight edge of each ear to right side of one head piece where shown on pattern.
- Sew around outside edges of head with a 1/8-in. seam, catching the straight edge of each ear in stitching. Cut a 1-in.-long slit through one layer of felt only where shown on pattern.
- Turn head inside out. Stuff head firmly. Hand-sew opening on back of head piece closed with matching thread.
- Using black quilting thread or three strands of six-strand embroidery thread, stitch two French knots on front of moose’s head where shown on pattern. See Fig. 1 for stitch illustration.
- Using black thread or embroidery floss, hand-sew two beads to front of head where shown on pattern for eyes.
- Pin antler pattern to tan felt. Cut out antlers following outline of pattern.
- Fold jute string in half for hanger. Glue ends to center of antler piece.
- Glue antler piece to back of moose’s head.
- Referring to photo for position, glue moose’s head to front top edge of moose’s body.
- Hand-sew buttons to front of moose’s body.
- Wrap scarf around moose’s neck and tie ends in an overhand knot. Spot-glue scarf to moose as needed to hold.
Finished Size: Kris Moose ornament measures about 6 inches x 6 inches without hanger.
Craft originally sent in by Nancy Rhodes of Piseco, New York