The cute critter on this crocheted holiday afghan will brighten up any room while also keeping you cozy.
- Worsted-weight yarn (3-1/2-ounce skeins) in amounts listed on color key (Lorraine used Red Heart yarn)
- Size J/10 (6mm) 14-inch afghan hook and size I/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: When working in Afghan St, 4 sts and 3 rows = 1 inch. It is important that your stitch gauge is accurate to create design in correct proportion.
BASIC AFGHAN STITCH:
- Foundation Row 1: First half: Sk first ch, * insert hk in next ch, draw up a lp, repeat from * across row, keeping all loops on hook. Number of loops will equal number of beg ch sts.
- Second half: Yo, draw through lp, * yo, draw through 2 lps, repeat from * across row.
- Row 2: First half: * Insert hk right to left under next vertical st, draw up a lp, repeat from * across row. (Don’t miss the last bar at the end of the row.)
- Second half: Repeat Row 1, Second half.
- Read charts from right to left on all rows (beginning with Row 21). Two halves of each row must be completed in the same color(s) to create one row on chart.
- Repeating the first half of Row 2, pick up the specified number of loops of first color shown on chart, join next color, pick up specified number of loops in this color, etc. Carry the yarn across only if no more than three stitches of another color interrupt the sequence. Join a separate ball of the same color if necessary.
- Repeat second half of Row 2, working off loops with matching color until one stitch is left of the color, then change colors, picking up yarn from underneath color previously used to twist yarns, preventing a hole. The new color is drawn through one loop of previous color and one loop of new color.
- When a color is finished, break off, leaving a long end to weave in on wrong side.
DIRECTIONS: The afghan is worked in one piece in Afghan St. With afghan hk and green, ch 153.
- Row 1: Work Foundation Row 1 of Afghan St.
- Rows 2-11: Repeat Row 2 of Afghan St: 152 sts.
- Rows 12-133: Work in Afghan St, following chart for color changes.
- Rows 134-144: Repeat Row 2 of Afghan St in green.
- Last Row: * Insert hk right to left under next vertical st, draw up a lp and immediately pull this lp through one on hk; repeat from * across row. One loop will remain on hook.
- FINISHING: Edging Round: Transfer last lp from afghan hk to crochet hk; ch 1, 3 sc in first sp between Last Row and Row 144, * sc in end of each row to corner, 3 sc in corner sp *, (sc in next 3 sts, sk 1 st) across bottom, 3 sc in corner sp, repeat between *’s, (sc in next 3 sts, sk 1 st) across top, join with sl st to top of first sc.
- Weave in all yarn ends.
- Fringe: Repeat in every third stitch across top and bottom edges of afghan, beginning as follows: Fold one 11-inch strand each of green, red and white yarn in half. Insert hook from wrong side between first and second stitches, catch the folds of the yarn and pull them back through about 1 inch, forming a loop. Pull ends of the strands through the loop, pulling gently until loop is tight against edge of afghan.
- Embroidery: With black, stem-stitch mouse’s whiskers.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan measures 38 x 46 inches, plus fringe.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Merry Mouse Crocheted Afghan from Lorraine White of St. John, Washington