Craft this handmade ornament as a gift or to decorate your home for Christmas.
- Lightbulb (appliance-sized bulb shown)
- Oven-bake clay—orange and white
- Baking sheet
- Foam plate or palette
- Paper towels
- Water container
- Acrylic craft paints—black, dark green and white
- Paintbrushes—small flat and liner
- Black fine-line permanent marker
- Two 1-inch-long forked twigs for arms
- Two 3mm red beads
- Textured snow medium
- Clear glitter
- 1/2-inch x 12-inch torn strip of red-and-green plaid fabric for scarf
- Cotton swab and powdered cosmetic blush
- Low-temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- Roll a walnut-sized ball of white clay.
- Press the top of the bulb gently into the clay to flatten and form the base for the snowman. Remove bulb.
- Roll a pea-sized ball of orange clay into a 3/8-inch-long cone shape for the nose.
- Place clay pieces on baking sheet and bake according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Let cool.
- Use flat brush and white to paint the glass portion of the bulb. Paint the metal socket dark green. Let dry.
- Use liner and black to paint two small eyes on the bulb as shown in photo above.
- Use liner and white to shade the lower portion of each eye and to add a tiny highlight to the center of each. Use flat brush and white to add highlights to green portion of metal socket as shown in photo.
- Use black marker to add eyelashes, eyebrows and mouth.
- Use cotton swab and a circular motion to apply cosmetic blush to cheeks.
- Glue top of bulb to base, making sure it stands upright. Let dry.
- Glue nose to center of snowman’s face, twigs to opposite side for arms and red beads down center front. Let dry.
- Apply textured snow around base, to top and around bottom edge of metal socket. Add a bit of textured snow to tip of nose, twig arms and red beads. While textured snow is still wet, sprinkle it with clear glitter. Let dry.
- Wrap fabric strip around snowman and tie ends in an overhand knot. Spot-glue as needed to hold and trim ends as desired.
- To make this lightbulb snowman a ornament, simply glue on a hanging loop. Or make a whole snowman family, using bulbs of different sizes.
Finished Size: Snowman measures about 3-1/2 inches across x 3-3/4 inches high.
Craft originally sent in by Grace Price of Rocklin, California