Want to warm up the holidays for a loved one? Present him or her with this comforting crocheted cover.
Lacy Holiday Afghan
- Ten 3-1/2-ounce skeins or 2600 yards of worsted-weight yarn in dark red or color of choice
- size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- yarn needle
GAUGE: Each heart motif (repeat of Rows 3 and 2) is 1-3/4 x 2-1/2 inches.
- Loosely ch 245.
- Row 1: 7 tr in fifth ch from hk, * sk 9 chs, 7 tr in next ch, repeat from * across, ending with 7 tr in last ch: 23 tr groups across.
- Row 2 (RS): Ch 1, turn, sk next tr, * 5 dc in next tr, ch 1, sl st in next tr, ch 7, sk next tr, sl st in next tr, ch 1, 5 dc in next tr, ch 1, sl st in last tr of tr group **, sl st in first tr of next tr group, ch 1, rep from * 21 times, rep from * to ** once, end with sl st in top of turning ch.
- Row 3: Ch 4, turn, sk next 2 dc, sl st in next dc, * ch 4, 7 tr in fourth ch of next ch-7, ch 4, sl st in third dc of next 5-dc group, ch 3, sl st in third dc of next 5-dc group, rep from * across, ending with ch 4, 7 tr in fourth ch of last ch-7.
- Repeat Rows 2-3 for 66 inches or desired finished length, ending with a repeat of Row 2. Fasten off.
- FINISHING: Working up right edge on RS of afghan: With sl knot on hk, join with sl st in top of last tr of Row 1, ch 4, sl st in third dc of first 5-dc group of Row 2, ch 4, sl st in top of end tr of Row 3, * ch 4, sl st in third dc of beg 5-dc group of next row, ch 4, sl st in top of end tr of next row, rep from * to end of side. Fasten off.
- Weave in yarn ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan is about 57 x 66 inches.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Lacy Holiday Afghan from Rhonda Semonis of Macomb, Illinois