Knit this adorable girls sweater in time for winter.
- 2-ply worsted-weight yarn (5 skeins, in 5 coordinating colors and various textures, used for all 3 projects)
- Size 4 double-point knitting needles
- Stitch marker
- Your favorite cardigan pattern and appropriate knitting needles
- Buttons, sewing needle, thread
- 3/4 yd. of fabric of your choice (44 in. wide)
- Matching thread
- 3/4-in. elastic, in a length 3 in. smaller than child’s waist
- Standard sewing supplies Yarn in colors to coordinate
- 4-in. circular or double-point knitting needles
- Cord in coordinating color (knit or purchased)
- Measure the child’s legs; work according to the gauge.
- Cast on 44 stitches and divide among 3 needles, marking beginning cast-on with stitch marker.
- Work 20 rows of first color in ribbing of knit 2, purl 2.
- Work the next 96 rows (or desired number based on length needed) in stockinette stitch, changing yarn colors every 4 rows.
- Finish by working 12 rows in ribbing of knit 2, purl 2.
- Bind off.
- In lieu of a formal pattern, use your favorite cardigan pattern and appropriate knitting needles.
- Follow your pattern, alternating yarns as with the leg warmers.
- Knit neckband, cuffs and front band in the darkest color.
- Knit ruffle. Cast on 200 stitches; knit colored stripes as desired until piece is 3 in. long. Finish off.
- Cut fabric in thirds, each piece measuring 9 in. x 44 in.
- Cut a 1-5/8-in. x 9-in. piece from each of 2 pieces for belt loops.
- Form the skirt’s top section.
- Fold the largest piece in half, right sides and shorter edges together; join with a 3/8-in. seam.
- Press seam open.
- Fold down an inch of fabric from the top to form waist- band casing; stitch along the edge to close, leaving space to insert elastic.
- Form the skirt’s bottom section by joining the 2 smaller fabric pieces, right sides together at both shorter edges, with a 3/8-in. seam.
- Press the 2 seams open; make a 1/2-in. hem for the bottom.
- Sew 2 rows of basting stitches along the other edge; pull thread to gather so it will fit unfinished edge of the skirt’s top section.
- Right sides together, pin knitted piece’s long edge to top section’s raw edge, gathering to fit.
- Then pin gathered section of skirt bottom to fit.
- Stitch all 3 layers together.
- Topstitch along the seam.
- Insert elastic in waistband casing and stitch closed.
- To make belt loops: Fold fabric piece in half lengthwise and sew a narrow seam along 9-in. edge.
- Turn inside out and cut into 2 4-1/2-in. strips.
- Repeat with remaining piece.
- Attach 4 loops to waistband.
- Make pom-poms to attach to cord.
Craft originally sent in by Anita Legaspi of Snohomish, WA