These cute knit booties for babies are in step with the season.
- Worsted weight yarn—one skein each of white and red and scraps of blue
- Size 7 knitting needles or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Two stitch holders
- Size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook
- Yarn needle or large tapestry needle
GAUGE: When working in St st with size 7 needles, 4 stitches and 5 rows = 1 inch.
Ribbing: Every row: * K 1, p 1; repeat from * across row.
Stockinette stitch: St st:
- Row 1 (RS): K across row.
- Row 2 (WS): P across row.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2.
DIRECTIONS (Make two):
- With white, cast on 24 sts.
- Rows 1-4: Work ribbing across each row. Drop white at end of Row 4: 24 sts.
- Rows 5-6: Attach red, work ribbing across each row. Fasten off red at end of Row 6: 24 sts.
- Rows 7-8: Pick up white, work ribbing across each row. Drop white at end of Row 8: 24 sts.
- Rows 9-10: Attach blue, work ribbing across each row. Fasten off blue at end of Row 10: 24 sts.
- Rows 11-16: Pick up white, work ribbing across each row: 24 sts.
- Row 17: K 1, * yo, k2tog (eyelet made); repeat from * across to last st, yo, k 1: 25 sts: 11 eyelets. Fasten off white.
- Row 18: On WS, attach red and p across row: 25 sts.
- Row 19: K 8 and then place sts on stitch holder, k 9 for instep, place remaining 8 sts on other stitch holder: 9 sts on needle.
- Rows 20-28: Work in St st for instep: 9 sts.
- Row 29: Pick up 8 sts from stitch holder and 8 sts evenly along ends of rows on side of instep onto working needle, k 9 sts for instep, pick up and k 8 sts evenly along ends of rows on other side of instep, pick up and k 8 sts from stitch holder: 41 sts.
- Row 30: P across row.
- Row 31: K across row.
- Row 32: P across row.
- Row 33: K 16, k2tog, k 5, k2tog, k 16: 39 sts.
- Row 34: P across row.
- Row 35: K2tog, k 14, k2tog, k 3, k2tog, k 14, k2tog: 35 sts.
- Row 36: P across row.
- Row 37: K2tog, k 13, k2tog, k 1, k2tog, k 13, k2tog: 31 sts.
- Row 38: P across row.
- Row 39: K2tog, k 12, k3tog, k 12, k2tog: 27 sts.
- Row 40: P 14, cut yarn, leaving a 12- in. tail of yarn for weaving sole and sewing back seam.
- Thread tail of yarn onto yarn or tapestry needle. To weave sole together, hold needles with wrong side of knitting facing and needles pointing in the same direction.
- Referring to Booties Basic Stitch, insert yarn or tapestry needle through the first st on the front knitting needle and then the first st on the back knitting needle. Draw yarn through, removing sts from knitting needles.
- In the same way, continue stitching across to end. With right sides facing, sew red section on back seam together. Fasten off.
- With matching yarn and yarn or tapestry needle, sew rest of back seam of bootie.
- Use white yarn and yarn needle or tapestry needle to chain-stitch an X on instep of bootie as shown in photo. See Booties Stitch for stitch illustration.
- With crochet hook and white, ch to make a 24-in.-long tie. Fasten off and weave in loose ends. Starting at front of bootie, thread tie in and out through eyelets on bootie and tie ends in a bow in front.
FINISHED SIZE: Booties fit infants age 6 months to 1 year.
- ch chain
- k knit
- p purl
- RS right side
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- Instructions following asterisk are repeated a given number of times
Knitted Baby Booties from Sherry Erbes of Barney, North Dakota