For bundling up against the chill, this wintry knit scarf and mittens pair can’t be beat.
Knit Scarf and Mittens
- Worsted-weight yarn in 100-gram skeins with 100 yards per skein (see note)—four skeins for scarf and two skeins for mittens
- knitting needles—size 7 (4.5mm) straight for scarf and sizes 5 (3.75mm) and 7 (4.5mm) double-pointed needles for mittens or sizes needed to obtain correct gauge
- stitch markers
- small stitch holder
- size 16 tapestry needle
NOTE: E.J. used Brown Sheep Company’s Lambs Pride Superwash Worsted yarn in Sapphire (SW65). If you substitute another yarn, purchase an amount based on yardage per skein not ounces or grams per skein.
SHOPPING INFORMATION: For the address of the nearest retailer that carries Brown Sheep Company’s yarns, contact Brown Sheep Company, 10062 County Rd. 16, Mitchell NE 69357; call 1-800/826-9136.
GAUGE: When working in pattern with larger needles, 21 sts = 4 inches (lightly blocked). When working in pattern with smaller needles, 25 sts = 4 inches (lightly blocked). To save time, take time to check gauge.
Stitches Used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
GARTER STITCH: garter st
- Working in rows: K each st of every row.
- Working in rnds: K 1 rnd, p 1 rnd.
STOCKINETTE STITCH: St st
- Working in rows: K 1 row, p 1 row.
- Working in rnds: K every st of every rnd.
KNIT 2, PURL 2 RIBBING: K 2, p 2 rib
- Row or Rnd 1: K 2, p 2; rep from * around.
- All remaining rows or rnds: K the k sts and p the p sts.
MAKE 1: M 1
- With tip of right needle, pick up horizontal strand between st just worked and next st and place it on tip of left needle; k in back of lp, twisting st as you knit for 1 inc.
MITTEN PATTERN: Worked in rnds over a multiple of 6 sts.
- Rnds 1-2: [P 4, k 2] around.
- Rnds 3-4: [P 3, k 3] around.
- Rnds 5-6: [P 2, k 4] around.
- Rnds 7-8: P 1; [k 4, p 2] around, ending with k 4, p 1.
- Rnds 9-10: P 1; [k 3, p 3] around, ending with k 3, p 2.
- Rnds 11-12: P 1; [k 2, p 4] around, ending with k 2, p 3.
- Rep Rnds 1-12 for pattern.
SCARF: With size 7 straight needles, cast on 49 sts.
- Rows 1-7: Work in garter st for seven rows.
- Inc Row 8: K 4, place marker; [k 5, M 1] eight times, k 1; place marker, k 4: 57 sts.
- Pattern Row 1: K 4; [p 4, k 2] eight times, p 1; k 4.
- Pattern Row 2: K 4; k 1, [p 2, k 4] eight times; k 4.
- Pattern Row 3: K 4; [p 3, k 3] eight times, p 1; k 4.
- Pattern Row 4: K 4; k 1, [p 3, k 3] eight times; k 4.
- Pattern Row 5: K 4; [p 2, k 4] eight times, p 1; k 4.
- Pattern Row 6: K 4; k 1, [p 4, k 2] eight times; k 4.
- Pattern Row 7: K 4; p 1, [k 4, p 2] eight times; k 4.
- Pattern Row 8: K 4; [k 2, p 4] eight times, k 1; k 4.
- Pattern Row 9: K 4; p 1, [k 3, p 3] eight times; k 4.
- Pattern Row 10: K 4; [k 3, p 3] eight times, k 1; k 4.
- Pattern Row 11: K 4; p 1, [k 2, p 4] eight times; k 4.
- Pattern Row 12: K 4; [k 4, p 2] eight times, k 1; k 4.
- Repeat Pattern Rows 1-12 for a total of 25 repeats.
- Dec Row: K 4, remove marker; [k 4, k 2 tog] eight times, k 1; remove marker, k 4: 49 sts.
- Finishing Rows: Work 7 rows in garter st. Bind off loosely in knit. Use tapestry needle to weave in loose ends.
MITTENS (Make two): With smaller double-pointed needles, cast on 32(32,36) sts. Divide sts over three needles. With fourth needle, join yarn, being careful not to twist sts. Work in k 2, p 2 rib for 3(3-1/2,3-1/2) inches.
- Next Rnd: For size Small, continue to work with smaller needles. For sizes (Medium/ Large,Extra-Large), change to larger needles. P 1 rnd, while at the same time evenly spacing 4(4,6) M-1 incs: 36(36,42) sts. Place a st marker between first and second sts of rnd to mark beg of rnd.
- Rnds 1-4: Beg with Rnd 1(1,7) of Mitten Pattern below, work 4 rnds in pattern.
- Rnd 5: Work first 2 sts of pattern; place marker, M 1, k 2, M 1, place marker; finish rnd in pattern. (Caution: 2 sts are now missing in the pattern repeat next to thumb. Remember to allow for these 2 sts when repeating the pattern.)
- Rnd 6: Work to marker in pattern; work in St st between markers; finish rnd in pattern.
- Rnd 7: Work to marker in pattern; sl marker, M 1, work in St st to marker, M 1, sl marker; finish rnd in pattern.
- Repeat Rnds 6-7 until there are 14(14,16) sts between markers. For thumb, place sts between markers onto a small st holder, cast on 2 sts above opening and work even in pattern until 3-1/2(3-1/2,4) repeats of pattern have been completed, ending with Rnd 6. (Size Extra-Large is begun on Pattern Rnd 7 so four complete repeats should also end with Rnd 6.)
- Top Rnds 1-2: Work Pattern Rnds 7-8.
- Top Rnd 3: * K 3, p 1, p 2 tog; rep from * around.
- Top Rnd 4 (and all remaining even-numbered rnds): K the k sts and p the p sts.
- Top Rnd 5: * K 2, p 1, p 2 tog; rep from * around.
- Top Rnd 7: * K 2, p 2 tog; rep from * around.
- Top Rnd 9: * K 2 tog, p 1; rep from * around: 12(12,14) sts remain. Cut yarn, leaving an 8-inch-long tail. Thread tapestry needle with tail and pull it through remaining sts. Pull yarn tight to close mitten and fasten off.
- Thumb: Slip sts from holder onto two double-pointed needles, attach yarn and k across. With third needle, pick up and k 4 sts across top of opening: 16(16,18) sts.
- Work two rnds of St st, decreasing 2 sts above picked-up sts on second rnd, then work in St st on remaining sts until thumb measures 2-3/4(2-3/4,3) inches or desired length.
- Next Rnd: * K 2 tog; rep from * around and fasten off same as for top of hand.
- Finishing: Weave in all loose ends and lightly block.
FINISHED SIZE: Directions are for a 10- x 48-inch scarf and for Adult size Small mittens. Changes for Medium/Large and Extra-Large mittens are in parentheses.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Knit Scarf and Hat from E. J. Slayton of Cadet, Missouri