This delightful Santa pillow has a fabric backing with button closure on the bottom.
- 4-ply worsted-weight acrylic yarn (Brigitte used Red Heart Super Saver yarn)—one 3-1/2-ounce skein of Paddy Green and scraps of White, Hot Red, Pink, Honey Gold and Black
- size 8 (5mm) straight knitting needles or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- 15-1/2- x 16-inch piece of Christmas print fabric for back of pillow
- three 1/2-inch red buttons
- 14-inch square pillow form
- size 16 tapestry needle
- fabric glue
BACKGROUND: With size 8 needles and Paddy Green yarn, cast on 61 sts.
- Row 1 (WS): K 1, p 1 across to last st, k 1: count 61 sts.
- Row 2: P 1, k 1 across to last st, p 1: count 61 sts.
- Row 3: Rep Row 1.
- Row 4: Rep Row 2.
- Row 5: Rep Row 1.
- Row 6: (RS): P 1, k 1, p 1, k 1, p 1, k 51, p 1, k 1, p 1, k 1, p 1: count 61 sts.
- Row 7: K 1, p 1, k 1, p 1, k 1, p 51, k 1, p 1, k 1, p 1, k 1: count 61 sts.
- Rows 8-83: Rep Rows 6 and 7.
- Row 84: Rep Row 2.
- Rows 85-88: Rep Rows 1-4.
DUPLICATE STITCHING: Each square on the chart equals one V-shaped duplicate stitch.
- Thread tapestry needle with a single strand of yarn. Do not knot yarn. To begin stitching, leave a short tail of yarn on back of work and hold in place while working the first few stitches around it. To end stitching, weave yarn through stitches on back of work before cutting.
- Follow the color key and chart to stitch the Santa and heart designs on the right side of the knit piece. Start stitching nine knit stitches to the right of the left border and 10 rows down from the bottom of the top border.
- Place knit piece and fabric for backing of pillow with right sides together and top and side edges matching. Turn bottom edge of fabric to wrong side for hem. Fold should be even with bottom edge of border of knit front. Apply fabric glue to wrong side of hem to hold.
- Thread tapestry needle with Paddy Green yarn. Backstitch the edges of the knitted border to the edge of the backing fabric with a 1/4-inch seam, leaving bottom edge open.
- Turn the pillow right side out and insert the square pillow form.
- Use tapestry needle and Hot Red yarn to sew buttons evenly spaced along inside of hem. Slip the buttons through the knit front to close.
GAUGE: When working in St st on size 8 needles, 16 sts and 22 rows = 4 inches. To save time, check gauge.
FINISHED SIZE: Pillow is about 15 inches square.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Knit Santa Pillow from Brigitte Cornell of Copperas Cove, Texas