Chock-full of frosty fun, this bright stocking’s sure to whip up a flurry of smiles come Christmastime.
- Worsted-weight yarn—4 ounces each of red and white
- Worsted-weight sparkle yarn (yarn with a metallic thread)—1.75 ounces each of green, white and variegated green, red and white
- Knitting needles—pair of straight and set (four needles) of double-pointed in size 8 (5mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Stitch marker
- Stitch holders—two small and one large
- Size C/2 (2.75mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- 3/4 yard of 44-inch-wide 100% cotton or cotton-blend fabric for lining
- Matching all-purpose thread
- 1/2-inch red pom-pom
- Small jingle bell (optional)
- Standard sewing supplies
GAUGE: When working in St st, 5 sts = 1 inch.
- Changing colors: To avoid holes when changing colors, always pick up the new color of yarn from beneath the dropped yarn.
- Working in rounds: Place sts evenly on 3 dp needles. Place a marker at the beginning of the round, moving the marker with each round worked. Being careful not to twist sts, join the last st to the first st by pulling up yarn firmly and making first st with fourth needle.
- Stockinette stitch: St st
- Row 1 (RS): Knit across row.
- Row 2 (WS): Purl across row.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2.
- K 2, p 2 ribbing:
- Every Row: K 2, p 2 across row.
DIRECTIONS: With straight knitting needles and red, cast on 60 sts.
- Rows 1-10: Work in k 2, p 2 ribbing: 60 sts.
- Rows 11-12: With variegated sparkle yarn, k both rows.
- Rows 13-14: With red, work in St st.
- Rows 15-26: With white and green, work “Let It Snow” section of chart in St st, starting at the bottom of the chart. Read chart from right to left for a knit row and from left to right for a purl row.
- Rows 27-28: With red, work in St st.
- Rows 29-30: With variegated sparkle yarn, k both rows.
- Rows 31-34: With red, work in St st.
- Rows: 35-66: With colors indicated on the chart, work the snowman section in St st the same as for the “Let It Snow” section, except purl green sts for the hatband in Rows 38 and 39 and decrease 1 st at each end of every tenth row until you have 54 sts.
- Rows 67-70: With red, work in St st: 54 sts.
- Rows 71-72: With variegated sparkle yarn, k both rows.
- Rows 73-80: With red, work in St st: 54 sts.
- Top of foot: Row 81: K 41, sl last 13 sts on small holder for heel.
- Row 82: P 28, sl last 13 sts on second small holder for heel.
- Rows 83-94: Work in St st on 28 sts. Slip sts onto large holder.
- HEEL: Rows 1-11: Slip 13 sts of each side of heel from holders onto one dp needle so that the ends of the rows are at middle of needle. With RS facing and red yarn, work in St st on 26 sts for 11 rows.
- Turning heel: Row 12: P 15, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Heel Row 13: Sl 1, k 5, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, turn.
- Heel Row 14: Sl 1, p 6, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Heel Row 15: Sl 1, k 7, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, turn.
- Heel Row 16: Sl 1, p 8, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Heel Row 17: Sl 1, k 9, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, turn.
- Heel Row 18: Sl 1, p 10, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Heel Row 19: Sl 1, k 11, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, turn.
- Heel Row 20: Sl 1, p 12, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Heel Row 21: Sl 1, k 13, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, turn. Break off yarn.
- Heel Row 22: Join red at top right-hand side of heel: Pick up and k across 12 sts along side of heel, k 16 sts of heel, pick up and k 12 sts along remaining side of heel: 40 sts.
- Heel Row 23: P across row.
- Heel Row 24: K 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to last 3 sts, k 2 tog, k 1.
- Repeat Rows 23 and 24 until 26 sts remain, ending with a k row: 26 sts.
- FOOT: Round 1: (See knitting reminders for working in rounds.) Sl last 13 sts just worked from straight needle onto first dp needle. On second needle, k across 28 sts on holder; on third needle, k remaining 13 sts. Center of heel is now at beginning of each round: 54 sts.
- Rounds 2-15: K each round.
- Toe Shaping: Round 16: Change to white, on first needle, k 13; on second needle, k 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to last 3 sts, k 2 tog, k 1. On third needle, k 13.
- Round 17: Knit.
- Round 18: On first needle, k to last 3 sts, k 2 tog, k 1; on second needle, k 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to last 3 sts, k 2 tog, k 1. On third needle, k 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to end of round.
- Repeat Rounds 17 and 18 until 8 sts remain. Break off yarn and run end through all sts. Draw up yarn tightly and fasten off on inside of stocking.
- Thread tapestry needle with white yarn and randomly stitch snowflakes on front of stocking around snowman.
- Referring to chart and photo for position, stitch red nose and mouth and black eyes. Then add a long black stitch for each arm.
- Use hand-sewing needle and thread to stitch pom-pom to front of snowman.
- Use tapestry needle and matching yarn to sew back seam and sides of instep of stocking.
- Hanging Loop: Using any color yarn, ch 10. Fasten off, leaving an 8-in. yarn end. Fold chain in half and use yarn end to stitch both ends of chain to back seam at top edge of stocking.
- Lining: Fold lining fabric with right sides together. Lay knitted stocking on top of fabric. Cut around stocking 1/2 in. from all edges. With right sides together, machine-stitch 1/2 in. from edges, leaving top edge open.
- Fold 2 in. of top edge to wrong side for hem. Trim hem to 1/2 in. from fold. With lining wrong side out, put lining inside stocking, positioning the top edge of lining 1-1/2 in. from the top edge of the stocking.
- Add jingle bell between layers if desired, working it down to tip of toe.
- Use matching thread to hand-stitch the top edge of the lining to the inside of the stocking.
- Pack with little presents and hang up with care!
FINISHED SIZE: Stocking is about 22 inches long.
- ch chain
- dec decrease
- dp double-pointed
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass the slipped stitch over
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
Knit Christmas Stocking from Louise Purpura of Valparaiso, Indiana