Whenever special deliveries arrive in your family, so does this comfy cover-up.
Infant Knit Cardigan
- Sport-weight yarn —5 ounces of pastel green or desired color
- straight knitting needles—sizes 2 and 13 or sizes needed to obtain correct gauge
- eight stitch markers
- wo stitch holders
- yarn or tapestry needle (optional)
- five 1/2-inch white buttons
- white all-purpose thread
- hand-sewing needle
- size E/4 (3.5mm) crochet hook
GAUGE: Working in St st (k 1 row, p 1 row) on size 2 needles, 7 sts and 10 rows = 1 inch.
DIRECTIONS: With size 2 needles, cast on 60 sts.
N-Rows 1-6: K 2, p 2 across row: count 60 sts.
- Y-Row 1:
K 14, yo, place marker, k 1, place marker, yo, k 4, yo, place marker, k 1, place marker, yo, k 20, yo, place marker, k 1, place marker, yo, k 4, yo, place marker, k 1, place marker, yo, k 14.
- Y-Row 2: P across row, keeping markers in place: count 68 sts.
- Y-Row 3: K 15, yo, k 1, yo, k 6, yo, k 1, yo, k 22, yo, k 1, yo, k 6, yo, k 1, yo, k 15.
- Y-Row 4: P across row, keeping markers in place.
- Y-Rows 5-29: Repeat Y-Rows 3 and 4, keeping sts in pattern and markers in place: count 172 sts. (There will be eight stitches added every other row and 14 holes along length of each raglan sleeve seam at the end of Row 29.)
- B-Rows 1-3: Change to size 13 needles. K every row, moving markers with each row: count 172 sts.
- B-Row 4: K 29, put next 32 sts (sleeve) on stitch holder, k 50, put next 32 sts (sleeve) on stitch holder, k 29: count 108 sts.
- B-Rows 5-17: K every row: count 108 sts.
- BR-Rows 1-8: Change to size 2 needles. K 2, p 2 across row: count 108 sts.
- Bind off ribbing.
- With WS facing, transfer 32 sleeve sts from stitch holder onto size 13 needle. Attach yarn: count 32 sts.
- S-Rows 1-10: K every row: count 32 sts.
- Ribbing: R-Rows 1-8: Change to size 2 needles. K 2, p 2 across row: count 32 sts.
- Bind off ribbing.
- Repeat for other sleeve.
- With slip knot on crochet hook, attach yarn to left front of sweater with RS facing. Sc evenly along front. Fasten off.
- Mark location of five buttons evenly spaced along right front of sweater.
- With slip knot on crochet hook, attach yarn to right front of sweater. Work 1 sc in right front, ch 2, sk length of ch along front of sweater for buttonhole [work 5 scs in right front or number of sts needed to next button placement, ch 2, sk length of ch along front of sweater for buttonhole] four times, sc 1 in right front. Fasten off.
- Sew or crochet sleeve seams together with RS facing.
- With crochet hook or tapestry needle, pull all yarn ends to wrong side and weave into work.
- Use hand-sewing needle and all-purpose thread to sew buttons to left front opposite buttonholes.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
FINISHED SIZE: Sweater fits newborns to 14-pound infants.
Infant’s Green Knit Cardigan from Margaret Hanson-Maddox of Montpelier, Indiana