Autumn tones are threaded into a bright sweater—one that will wrap boys and girls in warm country color all season long.
Knit Autumn Pullover
- Worsted-weight yarn—8 ounces of Cream, 1 ounce each of Pumpkin, Lime and Buttercup (Susan used Jamie-4-Kids yarn)
- size 7 (4.5mm) and size 9 (5.5mm) straight knitting needles or sizes needed to obtain correct gauge
- yarn needle
GAUGE: When working in St st with larger needles, 9 sts and 12 rows = 2 inches.
Stitches Used: Refer to crocheting/knitting abbreviations below.
KNIT 1, PURL 1 RIBBING: K 1, p 1 rib
- Every Row: * K 1, p 1, repeat from * across row.
CHANGING COLORS: When changing colors, cross yarns around each other on wrong side of work, passing the yarn used for the last stitch in front of the new color to prevent holes. Carry colors loosely across back of work.
STOCKINETTE STITCH: St st
- Row 1 (RS): Knit.
- Row 2 (WS): Purl.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2.
DIRECTIONS: BACK: With smaller needles and Cream, cast on 66(70,74) sts. Work in k 1, p 1 rib for 2 inches.
Change to larger needles, work in pattern as follows:
- Row 1 (RS): Knit with Cream.
- Row 2: Knit with Cream.
- Row 3: K 2 with Cream, * k 2 with Buttercup, k 2 with Cream, repeat from * across.
- Row 4: P 2 with Cream, * p 2 with Buttercup, p 2 with Cream, repeat from * across.
- Rows 5-6: Knit with Cream.
- Row 7: K 2 with Cream, * k 2 with Pumpkin, k 2 with Cream, repeat from * across.
- Row 8: P 2 with Cream, * p 2 with Pumpkin, p 2 with Cream, repeat from * across.
- Rows 9-10: Knit with Cream.
- Row 11: K 2 with Cream, * k 2 with Lime, k 2 with Cream, repeat from * across.
- Row 12: P 2 with Cream, * p 2 with Lime, p 2 with Cream, repeat from * across.
- Repeat these 12 rows until piece measures 14(15-1/4,16-1/2) inches or desired length to shoulder, ending by working Row 2, 6 or 10.
- Work in k 1, p 1 rib for 2-1/2 inches. Loosely bind off all sts.
FRONT: Work same as back.
SLEEVES: With smaller needles and Cream, cast on 36 sts for all sizes. Work in k 1, p 1 rib for 2 inches.
Change to larger needles and work in St st until piece measures 12-1/2(13-3/4,15-1/2) inches or desired length to armhole; at the same time, inc 1 st at each side of work in third row and every fourth row thereafter 15(16,17) times for 68(70,72) stitches. Loosely bind off all stitches.
FINISHING: Use yarn needle to sew 3 inches (all sizes) of front and back together at shoulders on each side, leaving center open for neck.
Matching center of bound-off edges of sleeves to shoulder seams, sew sleeves to top 7-1/2(7-3/4,8) inches of front and back. In a continuous seam, sew front to back at sides and sleeve underarm seams. Weave in all yarn ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Directions are for a Child’s size 6. Changes for sizes 8 and 10 are in parentheses. Garment chest measurements are 28(30,32) inches.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Knit Autumn Pullover from Susan Garrigues of Yakima, Washington