The hearts and x's and o's in this knitted afghan make it perfect for Valentine's Day or an anniversary.
Hugs n' Kisses Afghan
- Worsted-weight yarn—approximately 900(2300,4300) yards of Provencal Rose, No. CW-220 (Joy used Brown Sheep Company’s Cotton Fleece yarn, an 80% Pima cotton and 20% merino wool yarn sold in 3-1/2-ounce skeins with 215 yards/100 grams per skein)
- straight knitting needles—size 6 (4mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- cable needle
- stitch markers
- tapestry needle
GAUGE: When working in St st on size 6 needles, 20 sts and 25 rows = 4 inches.
Special Stitches: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
- BC(FC): Back cross (front cross)
- Slip next 2 stitches to cable needle and hold in back (front); knit 2; being careful not to twist cable needle, knit 2 from cable needle.
- Garter stitch: Garter St
- Every row: Knit.
- Make one: M 1.
- Increase 1 stitch by knitting a stitch under the strand that lies before the next stitch.
- Slip, slip, knit: ssk.
- Insert right-hand needle in next stitch on left-hand needle as if to knit and slip it onto right-hand needle. In the same way, slip a second st onto right-hand needle. Insert left-hand needle through front of these two stitches and knit together as if they were one stitch. If done correctly, the decrease will slope toward the left.
- HUGS ’N’ KISSES CABLE: (panel of 10 sts)
- Rows 1, 5, 9 and 13 (RS): P 1, k 8, p 1.
- Row 2 and all WS rows: K 1, p 8, k 1.
- Rows 3 and 7: P 1, FC, BC, p 1.
- Rows 11 and 15: P 1, BC, FC, p 1.
- Row 16: K 1, p 8, k 1.
- Repeat Rows 1-16 for pattern.
- HEARTS: (panel of 31(45) sts)
- Row 1 (RS): K 1, k 2 tog; * yo, k 11, yo, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso; rep from * to within last 14 sts; end yo, k 11, yo, k 2 tog, k 1.
- Row 2: P 1; * k 1 in back of st, p 13; rep from * across; end k 1, p 1.
- Row 3: * K 3, yo, ssk, k 7, k 2 tog, yo; rep from * across; end k 3.
- Row 4: P 1; * k 2, p 11, k 1; rep from * across; end k 1, p 1.
- Row 5: K 1; * k 3, yo, ssk, k 5, k 2 tog, yo, k 2; rep from * across; end k 2.
- Row 6: P 1; * k 3, p 9, k 2; rep from * across; end k 1, p 1.
- Row 7: K 1; * k 4, yo, ssk, k 3, k 2 tog, yo, k 3; rep from * across; end k 2.
- Row 8: P 1; * k 4, p 7, k 3; rep from * across; end k 1, p 1.
- Row 9: K 1; * k 2, [k 2 tog, yo, k 1, yo, ssk, k 1] twice; rep from * across; end k 2.
- Row 10: P 1; * k 3, p 9, k 2; rep from * across; end k 1, p 1.
- Row 11: K 1; * k 1, k 2 tog, yo, k 3, yo, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, yo, k 3, yo, ssk; rep from * across; end k 2.
- Row 12: P 1; * k 2, p 5, p 1 in back of st, p 5, k 1; rep from * across; end k 1, p 1.
- Repeat Rows 1-12 for pattern.
- Note: The Cable pattern repeats every 16 rows and the Hearts pattern repeats every 12 rows so both patterns will begin at the same time only on every 48th row.
- Note: The Hugs ’n’ Kisses Cable pattern repeats every 16 rows and the Hearts pattern repeats every 12 rows. This can be confusing. To keep track of your rows, write down the last one worked in 3 columns as follows:
Row Cable Hearts: 17-1-5
Directions: For crib size, make 1 smaller strip, and for throw size, make 3 smaller strips. Plus make smaller right and left edge strips for both. For afghan size, make 3 larger strips, plus larger right and left edge strips.
AFGHAN STRIP: Cast on 43 sts for small strips (55 sts for large strips). Work in Garter st for 12 rows, ending with a WS row.
- Set-up row: K 2; p 1, [k 1, M 1] four times, p 1; place marker; k 2, [yo, k 11, yo, k 1] two(three) times, k 1; place marker; p 1 [k 1, M 1] four times, p 1; k 2—55(69) sts.
- Row 2: K 1, p 1; k 1, p 8, k 1; work Row 2 of Hearts pattern over 31(45) sts; k 1, p 8, k 1; p 1, k 1.
- Row 3: K 2; work Row 3 of Cable pattern over 10 sts; work Row 3 of Hearts over 31(45) sts; work Row 3 of Cable pattern over 10 sts; k 2.
- Rows 4-216(360,504): Continue to work patterns as established, repeating Rows 1-12 of Hearts and Rows 1-16 of cable, ending with Row 12 of Heart pattern. Work 360 rows for throw and 504 rows for afghan.
- Dec for border: Knit across, decreasing 4 sts across each cable, and 4 sts across Heart panel—43(55) sts. Knit 10 rows in Garter st. Bind off in knit on WS.
RIGHT (LEFT) EDGE STRIP: Cast on 47(59) sts and work in Garter st for 12 rows, ending with a WS row. On set-up row, place marker 4 sts from right (left) edge. Keeping these 4 sts in garter stitch throughout; work strip same as for Afghan Strip on 59(73) sts.
FINISHING: Reversing direction of hearts on alternate strips, join panels by going through Garter st “bump” on one edge, then the other. This makes an almost invisible seam, which doesn’t add bulk. Weave in ends and steam-block lightly.§
FINISHED SIZE: Directions are for crib size, 30 inches x 40 inches. A throw (48 inches x 58 inches) or afghan (64 inches x 70 inches) can be made by changing the number or size of strips. Directions for large strips are in parentheses.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Hugs and Kisses Afghan from E.J. Slayton of Cadet, Missouri