Get a cozy fire going with these naturally crafty homemade fire starter pinecones.
- Natural, dry pinecones
- Clear candle wax
- Choice of candle dye colors
- Tall tin can and metal tongs
- Foil-lined baking sheet
- Optional flame color additives: 1 cup table salt (yellow flame), 1 cup borax (yellow-green flame),
1 cup salt substitute with potassium (violet flame) or 1 cup Epsom salts (white flame) *
* Be sure to burn only one color at a time.
- Pre-treatment for coloring flames: Fill a bucket with 1/2 gallon of hot water. Mix in one additive. Soak pinecones in solution for 8 hours. Remove; let cones dry until fully opened and then dip in wax as below.
- For wax coating: Melt clear wax in a double boiler over low heat and mix in candle dye. Remove from heat; pour into tall tin can, leaving space near top. With tongs, dip each pinecone into the melted wax until completely covered, then place on foil-lined baking sheet to stand until wax sets.
Homemade Fire Starter Pinecones Photography by Country Woman.