Craft this homemade coupon organizer, in your choice of colored microsuede fabric, to make shopping easier than ever.
- 1/3 yard of red mircosuede fabric
- 1/3 yard of heavy-weight interfacing or buckrum
- All-purpose thread to match fabric
- Rotary cutter and mat (optional)
- Quilter’s ruler
- Black square button
- Magnetic purse closure
- Standard sewing supplies
- Refer to Craft Figure 1 to start crafting your homemade coupon organizer.
- From red fabric, cut one 8-in. x 16-in. piece for outside of holder and pocket one; one 8-in. x 7-in. piece for pocket two, and one 8-in. x 8-in. piece for pocket three.
- From interfacing or buckrum, cut one 7-7/8-in. x 8-in. piece for outside of holder and pocket one; one 3-1/2-in. x 7-7/8-in. piece for pocket two, and one 4-in. x 7-7/8-in. piece for pocket three.
- Fold 8-in. x 16-in. piece of red fabric for outside of holder in half crosswise right side out to make an 8-in. square. Slip 7-7/8-in. x 8-in. piece of interfacing or buckrum between folded layers.
- Place fabric and interfacing on a flat surface with the fold at the top. Referring to Fig. 1 at right for placement, attach thinner side of magnetic closure to inside folded edge (top) of coupon holder. Refold fabric with right side out and raw edges matching.
- With matching thread and a narrow satin stitch, stitch around raw edges only. Do not stitch along folded edge.
- With a slightly wider stitch, satin-stitch along narrow edge again (top of pocket one) only.
- Fold 8-in. x 7-in. red fabric piece in half crosswise with right side out to make a 3-1/2-in. x 8-in. piece. Slip 3-1/2-in. x 7-7/8-in. piece of interfacing or buckrum for pocket two inside folded red piece with long raw edges matching.
- Fold 8-in. x 8-in. red fabric piece in half with right side out to make a 4-in. x 8-in. piece. Slip 4-in. x 7-7/8-in. piece of interfacing of buckrum for pocket three inside folded red piece with long raw edges matching.
- Stitch over first stitching with a slightly wider satin stitch.
- Referring to Fig. 1 below, fold satin-stitched edge of outside of holder up as shown to form pocket one. Attach thicker side of magnet closure to outside of first pocket.
- Slip 3-1/2-in. x 8-in. piece for pocket two under pocket one with fold at the top and sides matching. In the same way slip the 4-in. x 8-in. piece for pocket three under pocket two.
- Holding all layers securely with edges matching, satin-stitch opposite sides with a slightly wider stitch. Fasten off all loose threads.
- Attach button to front flap of coupon holder.
- Fold top down to close and finish off your homemade coupon organizer.