Add highlights and luster to your hair with this easy-to-make DIY Chamomile Shampoo Recipe.
- 1 handful dried chamomile flowers (we used the contents of three chamomile tea bags)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. pure soap flakes, or an equivalent amount of finely chopped pure soap slivers (such as original Ivory)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. glycerin (find it at your drugstore)
- Place the flowers in a heat-proof bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over the flowers. Let steep for 15 minutes. Strain the liquid into another heat-proof bowl through a coffee filter, giving the buds a gentle squeeze with the back of a spoon.
- Clean out the first bowl and throw in the soap flakes or slivers. Cover with the chamomile liquid and let stand until soap softens. (You may need to reheat in a microwave for a minute or so to get the soap to melt.) Gently beat in the glycerin until well blended.
- Pour the liquid into a clean 14-oz. (or larger) container with a tight-fitting lid, and let cool. It’ll take on a gelatin-like consistency. Scoop out about a tablespoon to shampoo your hair.
DIY Chamomile Shampoo Recipe photography by Lori Foy.