Crafting this cute Crochet Purse Pattern for youngsters is a labor of love.
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn—8 ounces of pink and small amount of white
- crochet hooks—size D/3 (3.25mm) and size G/6 (4.25mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- stitch marker
- 3/4-inch pink heart-shaped button
- pink all-purpose thread
- hand-sewing needle
- tapestry needle
GAUGE: With size G hook, 6 hdcs and 5 rows = 2 inches.
DIRECTIONS: Before you begin, refer to gauge, techniques/stitches used, etc.
HEART (make 2):
- Row 1: With pink yarn and larger hk, ch 2, work 3 hdcs in second ch from hk, turn: count 3 hdcs.
- Row 2: Ch 1, work 2 hdcs in first st, work 1 hdc in next st, work 2 hdcs in last st, turn: count 5 hdcs.
- Rows 3-12: Rep Row 2: count 2 additional hdcs in each new row for a total of 25 hdcs at the end of Row 12.
- Row 13: Ch 1, work 1 hdc in each st across, turn: count 25 hdcs.
- Row 14 (first half of heart top): Ch 1, work 1 hdc in each of first 10 sts, hdc next 2 sts tog, leaving last 13 sts unworked; mark this side of first unworked st, turn: count 11 hdcs.
- Row 15: Ch 1, work 1 hdc in each of next 9 sts, hdc last 2 sts tog, turn: count 10 hdcs.
- Rows 16-18: Ch 1, hdc first 2 sts tog, work 1 hdc in each st across to last 2 sts, hdc last 2 sts tog: count 4 hdcs at end of Row 18. Fasten off.
- Row 14 (second half of heart top): With marked side facing, join matching yarn with sl st to first unworked st after marked st; ch 1, hdc next 2 sts tog, work 1 hdc in each of last 10 dcs, turn: count 11 hdcs.
- Rows 15-18: Rep Rows 15-18 of first half of heart top. Fasten off.
- Row 19: With RS facing, join matching yarn with a sl st in any st; working around outer edge of heart, ch 1, work 2 hdcs in each hdc and in the end of each row around, work 3 hdcs in lp at point of heart and 2 hdcs in unworked st between heart tops, join with a sl st in first hdc of rnd: count 113 hdcs. Fasten off and mark this side as RS.
- Repeat for second heart.
- Row 1: With smaller hk and pink yarn, ch 6, work 1 sc in second ch from hk and in each ch across, turn: count 5 scs.
- Row 2: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each st across: count 5 scs.
- Rows 3-75: Rep Row 2. Do not fasten off at end of Row 75: count 5 scs.
JOINING: Hold one heart piece and side piece together with edges matching, wrong sides together and wrong side of heart piece facing you. Using larger hk, work 1 sc through end of first row of side piece and through front lp only of hdc in Rnd 19 of heart. Start joining side piece by working sts in end of Row 18 of heart. You will be joining 1 hdc of Rnd 19 to each row end of side piece by working 2 hdcs in each end st. Work around to the 2 hdcs in end of Row 18 on other side of heart. Join the 2 hdcs in end of Row 18. Fasten off.
Rep joining, using second heart piece and opposite ends of rows of side piece. Do not fasten off.
- Row 1: With smaller hk and pink yarn, sl st in first sc on last row of side piece, ch 1, sc in next 2 sts, sc next 2 sts tog, turn: count 3 scs.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn: count 3 scs.
- Rows 3-75: Rep Row 2: count 3 scs.
- Row 76: Join Row 75 to remaining lps of Row 1 of side as follows: sk first sc, working through both pieces, sl st across next 3 sts. Fasten off.
- Row 1: With smaller hk, pink yarn and sl knot on hk, work 4 scs evenly spaced across center of top of one heart only (this will be the back of the purse), turn: count 4 scs.
- Rows 2-8: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each st across: count 4 scs.
- Row 9: Ch 1, work 2 scs in first st, work 1 sc in each st across to last st, work 2 scs in last st, turn: count 6 scs.
- Row 10: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of first 2 sts, ch 4, sk 2 scs, work 1 sc in each of last 2 sts, turn: count 4 scs.
- Row 11: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of next 2 sts, work 5 scs over ch-4 sp, work 1 sc in each of next 2 sts. Fasten off.
- TRIM: With front of purse facing, work in unworked lps of Rnd 18 and in front lps only of Rnd 19 as follows: With larger hk, join white yarn with a sc in third lp from the center of bottom of front heart, work 1 hdc in next st, (dc, ch 3, dc) in next st, hdc in next st, sc in next st, * work 1 sc in next st, hdc in next st, dc in next st, ch 3, dc in next st, hdc in next st, sc in next st; repeat from * around, join with sl st in beg sc. Fasten off.
- With hand-sewing needle and matching thread, sew button onto front of purse in center of Row 12.
- Use tapestry needle to weave in all loose ends.
CROCHET PURSE PATTERN – FINISHED SIZE: Excluding the strap, purse measures about 10 inches wide x 9 inches high.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Heart-Shaped Crochet Purse Pattern from Connie Folse of Thibodaux, Louisiana