You'll love this cow-inspired crafted afghan in your home in any season.
- 4-ply acrylic worsted-weight yarn—12 ounces each of black and white and 4 ounces of red
- size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- size 16 tapestry needle
- two 28mm wiggle eyes
- washable glue
GAUGE: When working in dc with a size H/8 hook, 12 scs and 13 rows = 4 inches. Each block is 12 inches wide x 13 inches high with edging.
- Reading charts: Each square on the charts represents 1 sc. Each color on chart represents a different color of yarn. Read charts from right to left on odd numbered rows and from left to right on even numbered rows.
- Roll a separate ball of yarn for every color change. Do not carry yarn across the back. Drop current color when a new color is used without fastening off so the color can be picked up again when it is needed on the next row.
- Changing colors: In st before color change, pull up a lp as if to sc and drop first color; yo and pull new color through 2 lps on hk to finish sc.
- Dec over 2 sc: * Insert hk in next sc and draw up a lp, rep from * one more time, yo, draw yarn through 3 lps on hk.
- Join with a sc: With a slip knot on hk, insert hk in the sp or st indicated in instructions and make 1 sc.
DIRECTIONS: Before you begin, download the HHA Charts.
OUTER BLOCKS: (Make 8):
- Row 1: With white, ch 35. Sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch: count 34 scs.
- Rows 2-41: Ch 1, turn; sc in each sc across row, following outer block chart for color changes.
- Edging Rnd: Work 2 sc in end of Row 41, 1 sc in the end of each row to Row 2, 2 sc in end of Row 1, 1 sc in the bottom ch of each st of Row 1, 2 sc in end of Row 1, 1 sc in the end of each row to Row 40, 2 sc in end of Row 41, 1 sc in each st across Row 41; join with a sl st in beg sc of rnd and fasten off.
CENTER BLOCK (Make 1):
- Row 1: With red, ch 35. Sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch: count 34 scs.
- Rows 2-41: Ch 1, turn; sc in each sc across row, following center block chart for color changes.
- Edging Rnd: Repeat Edging Rnd.
EAR (Make 2):
- E-Row 1: With black, ch 7. Sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch: count 6 scs.
- E-Rows 2-8: Ch 1, turn; sc in each sc across row: count 6 scs.
- E-Row 9: Ch 1, turn; dec over next 2 scs, sc in each of next 2 scs, dec over next 2 scs: count 4 scs.
- E-Row 10: Ch 1, turn; [dec over next 2 scs] twice; fasten off: count 2 scs.
- Ear Edging: Join yarn with a sc at one end of Row 1; work 1 sc in the end of each row around, stopping at the opposite end of Row 1. Fasten off, leaving a long tail. Thread tapestry needle with tail and sew Row 1 to cow’s head as shown in photo at right. Repeat with second ear.
BOW (Make 1):
- B-Row 1: With red, ch 6; sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch; count 5 scs.
- B-Rows 2-10: Ch 1, turn; sc in each sc across row: count 5 scs.
- Bow Edging Rnd: Add a rnd of edging the same as for blocks. Gather this piece in the center to look like a bow and wrap matching yarn around the center several times before tying a knot in back. Use tapestry needle and red yarn to hand-sew bow to top of cow’s head as shown in photo.
- Use a washable glue to attach wiggle eyes as shown in photo.
- Lay out the blocks as shown in photo. Pick up first two outer blocks and hold them right sides together. With a white sl knot on hk, insert hk in back lp of corner st of top block where blocks will be joined and in corresponding lp of corner st of bottom block and sl st together; sl st the back lps of each st together across row, fastening off at next corner.
- Make three strips with three blocks each, using white when joining two outer blocks and red when joining an outer block to the center block. Join the strips in the same way to complete the afghan.
BORDER: Join red yarn with a sc in any st along edge of afghan.
- Rnd 1: * Sc in each st to corner, work 3 sc in corner; rep from * around; join with a sl st in beg sc.
- Rnds 2-3: Ch 1, sc in same st as sl st; * sc in each sc to corner, work 3 sc in corner; rep from * around; join with a sl st in beg sc. Fasten off at the end of Rnd 3.
- Use tapestry needle to weave in all loose ends.
FRINGE: Add a fringe to every third sc around afghan.
For each fringe, cut one 5-1/2-inch length of each color yarn. Hold these three strands together and fold them in half. Insert the hk in any sc of last border rnd and pull the fold through to form a loop. Draw yarn ends through this loop and pull the ends to form a knot around the stitch.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan measures about 38-1/2 inches wide x 41-1/2 inches high, excluding the fringe.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Happy Holstein Afghan from Jennifer Dolan-Nelson of Superior, Wisconsin