Quick to put together, these frolicsome swimmers are sure to catch kitty’s attention.
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn—about 20 yards in color of choice (MC) for body of fish and about 1/2 yard each of black for eyes and red for mouth
- Size 6 knitting needles
- 12 inches of 1/4-inch-wide satin ribbon in color of choice
- 12mm jingle bell
- Tapestry needle
- Polyester stuffing
- Small amount of dried catnip
BODY (make two): Using MC yarn for body, cast on 14 sts.
- Row 1: P across row.
- Row 2: K 2 tog, k across row to last 2 sts, k 2 tog.
- Rows 3, 5 and 7: Repeat Row 1.
- Rows 4, 6 and 8: Repeat Row 2: 6 sts at end of Row 8.
- Row 9: P across row.
- Row 10: Make 1 inc in first st; k across row; make 1 inc in last st.
- Rows 11, 13 and 15: Repeat Row 9.
- Rows 12, 14 and 16: Repeat Row 10: 14 sts at end of Row 16.
- Row 17: P across row.
- Row 18: K across row.
- Rows 19, 21 and 23: Repeat Row 17: 14 sts at end of Row 23.
- Rows 20 and 22: Repeat Row 18.
- Row 24: K 2 tog, k across row to last 2 sts, k 2 tog.
- Row 25: P across row.
- Rows 26, 28, 30 and 32: Repeat Row 24.
- Rows 27, 29, 31 and 33: Repeat Row 25: 4 sts at end of Row 33.
- Thread yarn through remaining stitches on needle and fasten yarn tightly, leaving an 18-in. length of yarn.
- ASSEMBLY: Place two body pieces right sides together with outside edges matching. Use the tapestry needle and matching yarn to stitch row ends together, leaving tail end open for stuffing.
- Turn body right side out. Stuff body firmly, inserting catnip in center.
- Thread bell onto ribbon. Center bell on ribbon and knot ribbon close to bell.
- Center ends of ribbon along tail as shown in photo. Sew edges together, catching ends of ribbon in stitching.
- Referring to photo for placement and Satin Stitch illustration an eye on each side with black and a mouth on front with red.
FINISHED SIZE: Each fish measures about 2-3/4 inches high x 10 inches long, including ribbon tail.
- inc increase
- k knit
- MC main color
- p purl
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
Fun Fish Cat Toys from Jean Nickerson of Apple Valley, California