Craft this festive gift bag in time for Christmas and the holidays!
- Printable Pattern (Below)
- Rotary cutter, ruler and mat
- 3/8 yd. fabric for bag
- 3/8 yd. heavy fusible interfacing (Doris used Pellon 809 Decor Bond)
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing machine or serger
- 2-1/4-in. square of scrap card stock
- Coordinating fabric scraps for ornament, “JOY” and pine branch
- 10-in. square fusible web (Doris used Therm O Web HeatnBond UltraHold)
- Four 1/4-in. eyelets and tool kit
- Two 12-in. lengths of cording or ribbon
- 3-1/2- x 7-1/2-in. piece of cardboard
- Standard sewing supplies
- Download printable pattern here.
- Using rotary cutter, ruler and mat, cut two 12-1/2-in. squares each of fabric and fusible interfacing.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse interfacing to the wrong side of each fabric square. Trim each bonded fabric square to 12 x 12 in.
- Edge-stitch or serge one side of each bonded fabric square. This will become the opening.
- With right sides together, stitch or serge a 1/4-in. seam on the other three sides of the fabric square.
- Turn right side out. At top edge, fold 2-1/4 in. to inside; press.
- Turn bag inside out. Align the card stock square with the outside edge and bottom of bag. Trace the square at each bottom corner, front and back, with pencil. See Diagram 1.
- Flatten corners to make triangular points. Align the bottom seam and side seams. Stitch on the lines of the traced squares. Trim seam to 1/4 in.See Diagram 2. Note: If not using a serger, finish all edges with a zigzag stitch or trim with pinking shears.
- Turn bag right side out. On front of bag, measure 2 in. from side seams. Finger-press a fold in place, then steam press. Repeat for bottom, then back of bag. Press carefully so bag lies flat.
- Trace ornament, “JOY” and pine branch patterns onto fusible web. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse web to corresponding fabric scraps. Cut each out.
- Fuse design to front center of bag. Place ornament first. Next, over-lap “JOY” and pine branch onto ornament. Refer to photo for placement.
- Cut two 1- x 4-in. pieces of -fusible web. To secure folded opening,
place the strips under top fold on both front and back of bag and fuse layers together.
- Insert and secure the four eyelets, one each 1-3/4 in. from side and
3/4 in. from top edge, as in photo.
- Make handles. From bag front, insert end of a 12-in. length of cord or ribbon into one eyelet and knot inside. Insert other end into other eyelet and knot. Repeat at back of bag with second cord or ribbon.
Craft originally sent in by Doris Deutmeyer of Dyersville, Iowa.