No matter what the season, you'll love this crocheted afghan in your home.
Double Cross-Stitch Afghan
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn—20 ounces each of Claret, Soft White and Windsor Blue (Nanette used Red Heart Super Saver yarn)
- size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- size 13 tapestry needle
GAUGE: (1 double X-st with 4 dcs) and 3 double X-st rows = 2 inches.
Techniques/stitches used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
- V-st: Work (dc, ch 1, dc) all in one st or sp as specified in instructions.
- V-st in a V-st: Work (dc, ch 1, dc) all in ch-1 sp of a V-st.
- Double X-st: Sk 2 sts, dc in each of next 2 sts, loosely dc in first skipped st, loosely dc in second skipped st.
STRIP (make 8):
- Row 1 (RS): With Soft White, ch 10, dc in fourth ch from hk (counts as first dc), double X-st over the next 4 chs, dc in each of the last 2 chs.
- Rows 2-85: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), turn; sk first dc and dc in next dc, double X-st over next 4 sts, dc in next dc, dc in top of turning ch-3. Fasten off at end of Row 85.
- Rnd 1: With RS of work facing, join Claret with a sl st in last st of Row 85, (ch 4, dc, ch 1, V-st) all in same st as sl st, V-st in the end of each row across long edge of strip to next corner, in corner st work (V-st, ch 1, V-st); sk 2 sts, V-st in next st, sk 1 st, V-st in next st, sk 1 st, (V-st, ch 1, V-st) in corner st; V-st in the end of each row across next long edge to next corner, in corner st work (V-st, ch 1, V-st); sk 2 sts, V-st in next st, sk 1 st, V-st in next st, sk 1 st, join with a sl st in third ch of beg ch-4. Fasten off.
- Rnd 2: With RS of work facing, join Windsor Blue with a sl st in first V-st of any corner V-st, (ch 4, dc) in same sp as sl st, (V-st, ch 1, V-st) in ch-1 sp between corner V-sts, V-st in second V-st of corner V-st; * V-st in each V-st to ch-1 sp between next corner V-sts, (V-st, ch 1, V-st) in this ch-1 sp; rep from * two more times; V-st in each V-st to end, join with a sl st in third ch of beg ch-4. Fasten off.
- Rnd 3: With Claret, rep Rnd 2.
- Rnd 4: With RS of work facing, join Windsor Blue with a sl st in any V-st of Rnd 3, ch 3, work 2 dcs in same V-st; work 3 dcs in each V-st and each ch-1 sp between corner V-sts around; join with a sl st in top of beg ch-3. Fasten off.
- Rnd 5: With a sl knot of Soft White on hk and RS of work facing, sc in back lp of any dc on one long side of Rnd 4; * sc in back lp of each dc to center dc of next corner, work 3 scs in corner dc; rep from * three more times; sc in back lp of each dc to beg dc, join with a sl st in beg dc. Fasten off.
- ASSEMBLY: With wrong sides together and edges even, hold two strips together. Working from center corner st to center corner st, sc the strips together along one long edge, picking up only the back lps of each st. (The back lps are the ones that touch on the inside.) Fasten off.
- Continue to join strips until eight strips have been joined. Use tapestry needle to weave in loose ends.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Double Cross-Stitch Afghan from Nanette Seale of Prescott Valley, Arizona