Light up your decor by covering a lampshade with your favorite photos.
diy photo lampshade
- High-quality digital photo
- Inkjet or laser printer
- Photo transfer fabric sheets for an inkjet or laser printer
- Plain lampshade or self-adhesive lampshade (available at craft stores)
- Paper fasteners or decorative brads
- Select and download your digital photo.
- Set up the document size to match the height and width you want your photo to be on the lampshade.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, print your photo onto photo transfer fabric for an inkjet or laser printer.
- If necessary, trim fabric to fit size of lampshade.
- Wrap the fabric around an existing lampshade and hold it in place with paper fasteners or decorative brads.
- If using a self-adhesive lampshade (available at craft stores), cut fabric to fit and adhere the transferred photo to the shade.
Bright Ideas for your DIY Photo Lampshade
- Black and white images have a nostalgic, timeless feel and a classy, professional look.
- Framing and photo shops can scan prints, which means that you are not limited to using only digital photos. Get a quote beforehand. Prices can vary greatly.
- Select high-resolution images and crop them to focus in on your subject.
- With today’s digital cameras, taking and storing images has become easier. But rapidly changing technology may soon make your current storage method obsolete. The best way to preserve your photos is to print them on archival paper. This eliminates the danger of accidentally deleting them or the need to constantly upgrade your storage method.
DIY Photo Lampshade craft project designed by Natasha Dickens. Photography by Sue Ferris.