Using popsicle or craft sticks craft this simple DIY Christmas ornament to create a festive Nativity scene for your tree.
- Six jumbo craft sticks
- Two 1-in. wooden domed furniture plugs
- One 1/2-in. wooden domed furniture plug
- Paper towels
- Foam plate or palette
- Acrylic craft paints—black, brown, fleshtone, gold, green, pink, red and white
- Paintbrushes—small flat, round and liner
- Black fine-line permanent marker
- Natural raffia
- Two green 1/2-in. two-hole buttons
- Fabric—1/2-in. x 10-in. torn strip of green-and-tan for hanging loop; 3/8-in. x 4-1/2-in. cut strip of green-and-tan for Joseph's cloak; 3/8-in. x 4-1/4-in. cut strip of red print for Mary's cloak
CUTTING: Download the Cutting/Assembly Guide for reference.
- Cut two 5-in.-long craft stick pieces for stable roof. Cut one craft stick in half diagonally to make two 3-inch pieces for stable walls.
- Cut one 3-in. -long craft stick piece for Joseph, and one 2-1/2-in. long craft stick piece for Mary. Cut one 1-3/4-in.-long craft stick piece for Baby. Use sandpaper to round cut end as shown. Remaining stick will be stable floor.
- Sand as needed to smooth; wipe with damp paper towel to remove sanding dust.
PAINTING: Keep water handy to thin paints and clean painting tools. Dab colors onto foam plate/palette as needed. Let paint dry after each coat; apply additional coats as needed for complete coverage. Refer to photo as a guide.
- With flat brush, paint pieces for stable roof, walls and floor brown. While paint is wet, wipe pieces with paper towel to reveal the grain.
- Using flat brush, paint 1-3/4-in.-long craft stick piece white, 2-1/2-in.-long craft stick piece red and 3-in.-long craft stick piece green.
- Paint all furniture plugs fleshtone for faces. Use round brush to add two small pink circles to each for cheeks.
- Use flat brush to paint star gold.
- With liner and black paint, add hair around faces, and add Baby’s eyelashes.
- Dip brush handle into black to add two tiny eyes to Mary and Joseph’s faces, and two buttons to Joseph’s body.
- Glue stable wall pieces to back of stable floor. Glue roof pieces to top of walls, overlapping the cut edges a bit, and glue star to roof.
- Glue Mary and Joseph to back of stable floor.
- Cut small pieces of raffia and glue around the bottom edge of the Baby. Glue Baby to front of floor.
- Glue faces to all figures.
- Wrap green-and-tan fabric around Joseph; glue to hold. Wrap red fabric around Mary; glue to hold. Glue on brown button.
- Thread a piece of raffia through each green button; knot ends in front and trim close to knot. Glue buttons to stable floor as shown.
- Glue paper clip to back top of stable for hanger. Thread with torn fabric strip; knot ends for hanging loop.
FINISHING: Use black marker to add dashed lines around star and on Baby, and to write the verse and “Luke 2.”