Decorative jars add to the cozy glow of homemade wax candles.
DIY Jar Candles
- Beeswax or microwavable soy wax
- Mason or candle jars
- Double boiler (for beeswax) or microwavable container (for soy)
- Bamboo or candy sticks
- Candle mold putty
- Candle dye (optional)
- Cinnamon essential oil (optional)
- Choose containers that can withstand high heat; wash and dry thoroughly. Following manufacturer’s instructions, melt wax—beeswax in a double boiler on stovetop, soy wax in a microwave-safe container. (Never reuse containers for food afterward.)
- Once wax liquefies, add candle dye and cinnamon essential oil if desired and stir well. Set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, use a tiny amount of candle mold putty to secure wick base, centered at the bottom of your jar.
- Pour wax evenly into each jar, filling to within 1 in. to ½ in. below the rim. Place bamboo or candy stick on either side of the wick and clip wick in place with a clothespin until wax dries. Trim wick to about ½ in. over surface. Let wax dry completely before lighting.
- Decorate jar exterior and finish with a gift card.
DIY Jar Candles – Photography by Country Woman.