Create your own personalized stones to accent your garden or any outdoor space.
- Cake pans or stepping stone molds
- WD-40 silicone spray
- Wheel barrow or large trough
- Hypertufa mix: equal parts Portland cement, peat moss and sand
- Concrete mix (such as Quickcrete) for the central pad
- Concrete colorant (optional)
- Number and letter concrete stamps (available at craft stores)
- Mix hypertufa and add water slowly; add colorant as desired. Mixture’s consistency should be like brownie batter. Spray molds or pans with WD-40. Pat mix into molds. Smooth tops with a trowel.
- Immediately stamp numbers, letters or designs as desired into wet hypertufa. Let dry for a few days. Carefully remove from molds.
- Place the stones as desired.
Tip: Want to place your stones for a sundial garden? Check out helpful tips from the North American Sundial Society.
Decorative Garden Stones craft originally sent in by Michelle Byrne Walsh of Lake in the Hills, Illinois, who uses them in her sundial garden.
Decorative Garden Stones craft photography by Michelle Byrne Walsh; photos of Michelle by Linda Andre