Cross-stitch this design as a basket lid, photo album cover or as a keepsake box lid.
- Provided charts and patterns
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Basket with hinged lid (5-inch x 5-inch lid shown)
- 7-inch x 7-inch piece of camel Alova Punch polyester fabric, or a piece 2 inches larger than the item to be decorated (see shopping information on page 42)
- 3-1/2-inch square of charcoal fiberglass window screen (in hardware stores)
- Felt—3-1/2-inch square of yellow and 4-1/2-inch x 2-1/2-inch rectangle of green
- 2-1/2-inch square of yellow houndstooth check fabric
- Thin cardboard piece (or chipboard) the size of the basket lid
- Two pieces of lightweight quilt batting the size of the basket lid
- Six-strand embroidery floss—yellow/gold and green
- Embroidery needle
- Clear seed beads—gold and green
- 3mm beads—yellow and light green frosted beads and one clear green bead
- Beading needle
- Two sew-through buttons—one 7/8-inch yellow and one 1/2-inch green
- All-purpose sewing thread
- Craft glue
- Trace large flower pattern onto tracing paper with pencil. (Download Pattern PDFs)
- Pin window screen on top of yellow felt and pattern on top of window screen.
- Cut out large flower. Remove pattern.
- Separate six-strand yellow/gold floss and thread embroidery needle with one strand of floss.
- Cross-stitch over a square of the window screen as shown on pattern/chart. (Fig. 1)
- Between cross-stitched rows, add a gold seed bead, a 3mm yellow bead and a gold seed bead.
- Using two strands of yellow/gold floss, blanket-stitch around outside edges of all petals.
- Trace small flower pattern onto tracing paper with pencil.
- Cut a small flower from yellow houndstooth check fabric.
- Trace leaf pattern onto tracing paper with pencil.
- Cut three leaves from green felt.
- Using one strand of green floss, stitch small cross-stitches down the center of each leaf.
- Using one strand of green floss, sew three green seed beads to the center of each leaf.
- Center the large flower on top of leaves, and add small flower to its center.
- Stack green button on gold button and center buttons on the small flower.
- Using green floss, stitch through buttons and flowers to hold. Sew a 3mm green bead, a large green bead and a 3mm green bead to center of green button.
- Separate six-strand green floss and thread embroidery needle with a single strand of floss.
- Cross-stitch two rows and skip one row on Alova fabric as shown on background chart (Figs. 2 & 3), keeping the background fabric flat. Finished stitching will be at a diagonal to the fabric grain.
- As a guide in placing beads, baste around perimeter of stitched background, marking an area the same size as the basket lid.
- Using a single strand of green floss, stitch a small green bead, large green bead and a small green bead between every other cross-stitch (Fig. 2), and add back- stitches between the cross-stitches. Do not add beads beyond the basting stitches (that area is wrapped to the back when the fabric is attached to the cardboard).
- Trim the corners of the cardboard as needed to fit on the top of the basket lid.
- Trim the batting to the same size as the lid.
- Center both pieces of batting on the cardboard.
- Using the basting thread as a guide, center the stitched Alova fabric right side up on top of the batting.
- Wrap edges of the Alova fabric to the back of the cardboard.
- Using all-purpose thread, sew from edge to opposite edge along all sides, pulling the fabric taut and keeping the fabric centered. In the same way, sew diagonally from corner to corner. Fasten off.
- Remove the basting thread.
- Glue cross-stitched covered cardboard piece right side up to top of basket lid. Let dry.
- Glue assembled flowers and leaves right side up to center of lid. Let dry.
Craft originally sent in by Lee Ann Quigley.