This vintage vest is a fun take on the traditional school vest with apples and a plaid design.
Crocheted School Vest
- Acrylic 4-ply worsted-weight yarn (see note)—one(one,two,two) 8-ounce skeins of Royal Blue and one skein each or scraps of Hot Red, Paddy Green, Warm Brown, Bright Yellow and Soft Navy for all sizes
- crochet hooks—size I/9 (5-1/2mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge and size H/8 (5mm) or one size smaller than larger hook
- size 13 tapestry needle
- six 1/2-inch apple-shaped novelty buttons (see note)
- hand-sewing needle
- blue all-purpose thread
GAUGE: Each apple block is 3-1/2 inches square. When working in pattern of sc 1 row, dc 1 row with larger hk, 15 sts and 10 rows = 4 inches.
BACK POST DOUBLE CROCHET: bpdc
- Yo, insert hk from back to front between 2 sts, then working from right to left come up from front to back between following 2 sts; draw through a lp and complete dc as usual.
FRONT POST DOUBLE CROCHET: fpdc
- Yo, insert hk from front to back between 2 sts, then working from right to left come up from back to front between following 2 sts; draw through a lp and complete dc as usual.
SINGLE CROCHET TWO TOGETHER: sc 2 tog
- * Insert hk in next st and pull up a lp; rep from * one more time; yo and pull yarn through 3 lps on hk.
DOUBLE CROCHET TWO TOGETHER: dc 2 tog
- * Yo, insert hk in next st and pull up a lp, yo and pull yarn through 2 lps on hk; rep from * one more time; yo, draw yarn through 3 lps on hk.
APPLE BLOCK [Make 7(8,9,10)]:
- Apple Rnd 1: With larger hk and red, ch 3; sl st in third ch from hk to form a ring. Ch 1, work 8 sc in ring; join with a sl st in beg sc.
- Apple Rnd 2: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc), dc in same st, ch 1; work [2 dc, ch 1] in each of next 7 sc; join with a sl st in top of beg ch-3: 8 sets of 2 dc. Fasten off.
- Leaves: Insert hk in any ch-1 space of Rnd 1 and draw up green yarn; [ch 7, sl st in same sp] twice and fasten off. Two leaves just made.
- Stem: Insert hk in space between two leaves and draw up brown yarn; ch 3 and fasten off.
- Apple Rnd 3: Insert hk in top ch of brown stem and draw up royal blue, ch 1; * sk 2 dc of Apple Rnd 2 and work [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-1 sp, sk 2 dc and dc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * two more times; sk 2 dc and work [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-1 sp, sk 2 dc and join with a sl st in top of brown stem.
- Apple Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same sp as sl st; sc in next dc, insert hk in center ch of left leaf and in next dc of Apple Rnd 3 and sc the sts together, sc in next dc; * work [2 sc, ch 1, 2 sc] in ch-3 sp, sc in each of next 7 dc; rep from * two more times; work [2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc] in last ch-3 sp; sc in next dc, insert hk in center ch of right leaf and in next dc of Apple Rnd 3 and sc the sts together, sc in next dc; join with a sl st in top of beg sc. Fasten off.
- Joining: With right sides together and leaves at top, use matching yarn and a tapestry needle to whipstitch two blocks together along one edge, beginning and ending in a ch-1 space and working through both lps of each single crochet. Continue adding blocks in this way to create a strip of 7(8,9,10) blocks.
- Vest Row 1: Beg at right-hand edge with RS facing and larger hk, attach royal blue and evenly space 93(107,121,135) sc across top of strip. To do this, work 13 sc in top of each of five squares and 14 sc in top of each of 2(3,4,5) squares.
- Vest Row 2: Ch 3, turn; sk first sc and dc in each remaining sc across row: 93(107,121, 135) dc, counting beg ch-3 as first dc.
- Vest Row 3: Ch 1, turn; sc in each dc across row, ending with 1 dc in top of beg ch-3: 93(107,121,135) sc.
- Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until vest is 7(8,9, 10) inches high from beg, ending with a row of dc. (Include the apple blocks when measuring vest.)
- Right Front Row 1: Ch 1, turn; sc 2 sts tog; sc across 14(16,19,22) sts; sc 2 sts tog: 16(18,21,24) sts.
- Right Front Row 2: Ch 3, turn; dc 2 sts tog; dc across 12(14,17,20) sts; dc 2 sts tog: 14(16,19,22) sts.
- Right Front Row 3: Ch 1, turn; sc 2 sts tog; sc across 10(12,15,18) sts; sc 2 sts tog: 12(14,17,20) sts.
- Right Front Row 4: Ch 3, turn; dc 2 sts tog; dc across 8(10,13,16) sts; dc 2 sts tog: 10(12,15,18) sts.
- Continuing in the established pattern of sc 1 row, dc 1 row, dec 1 st every row at front edge of vest only until 8(10,12,14) sts remain. Work even on these sts until armhole measures 5-1/2(6,6-1/2,7) inches from Right Front Row 1 and fasten off.
- Back Row 1: Sk next 10(12,14,14) sts from Right Front Row 1, attach yarn and sc 2 sts tog; sc across next 33(39,43,51) sts; sc 2 sts tog: 35(41,45,53) sts.
- Back Row 2: Ch 3, turn; dc 2 sts tog; dc across 31(37,41,49) sts; dc 2 sts tog: 33(39, 43,51) sts.
- Back Row 3: Ch 1, turn: sc 2 sts tog; sc across 29(35,39,47) sts; sc 2 sts tog: 31(37, 41,49).
- Back Row 4: Ch 3, turn; dc 2 sts tog; dc across 27(33,37,45) sts; dc 2 sts tog: 29(35, 39,47) sts.
- Continuing in the established pattern of sc 1 row, dc 1 row, work even over remaining 29(35,39,47) sts until back measures same as right front. Fasten off.
- Left Front: Sk next 10(12,14,14) sts from Back Row 1, attach yarn and work same as for right front, reversing the shaping.
- Bottom Ribbing Row 1: With larger hk and royal blue, attach yarn in bottom corner of apple block strip and work 91(104,117,130) sc along bottom edge (13 sc per square).
- Bottom Ribbing Row 2: Change to smaller hk; ch 3, turn; work 1 row of dc; ch 2, turn.
- Bottom Ribbing Row 3: Sk 1 dc and bpdc around next dc; * fpdc around next dc, bpdc around next dc; rep from * across row, ending with 1(0,1,0) fpdc in last st. Fasten off.
- Weaving: Use tapestry needle to weave a row of red yarn just below and a row of green yarn just above Vest Row 3. In the same way, skip the next row of dc and weave a row of yellow yarn just below and a row of dark blue yarn just above next row of sc. Repeating the established color pattern, weave a row of color both below and above each row of sc.
- Weave green and red vertical rows on each side of 6th(4th,6th,7th) sc, counting from right front edge. * Sk 8(10,10,11) sc and weave a row on each side of next sc, alternating colors as for horizontal rows; rep from * across vest so 6(4,5,8) sts remain after last vertical row of weaving.
- Armhole Edging: With larger hk and royal blue, begin at center bottom of armhole and sc in 5(6,7,7) sc; sc evenly along armhole sides; sc in remaining 5(6,7,7) sc at bottom of armhole. Change to smaller hk, ch 3, turn; work 1 row of dc. Rep Bottom Ribbing Row 3. Fasten off. Sew armhole seam.
- Repeat on remaining armhole.
- Button Bands: Beg at bottom right front edge of vest with RS facing, use smaller hk and royal blue to sc evenly along right front edge, working 3 sc at first dec row; sc evenly along right neck; sc across back neck sts; sc evenly along left neck; work 3 sc at first dec row and sc evenly along left front edge; ch 1, turn.
- Mark position of six evenly spaced buttonholes on right front edge. Work 1 row of sc along left front, back, neck and right front, again working 3 sc at front corners. AT THE SAME TIME, work [ch 1, sk 1 sc, sc in next sc] at each marker for buttonhole. Ch 1, turn at end of row and work 1 more row of sc along entire edge, working 1 sc in each ch-1 and 3 sc in front corners. Fasten off.
- Use red yarn in tapestry needle to button-hole-stitch along all outside edges, including armholes.
- Attach buttons with blue thread.
FINISHED SIZE: Directions are for size Extra Small (2-4). Changes for Small (4-6), Medium (6-8) and Large (8-10) are in parentheses. Finished Chest measurements are 24-1/2 (28,31-1/2,35-1/2) inches before button bands. Vest shown is a size Medium.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Crocheted School Vest from Michele Maks Thompson of Orwell, New York