Crochet this easy beanie-style hat with festive streamers for a baby you love.
- 5 ounces lightweight Pompadour yarn (see Finished Size note below)
- Worsted-weight yarn—scraps or up to 5-yard lengths of yarn in desired colors (green, pink, purple, turquoise and yellow shown)
- Size G/6 (4mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Yarn or tapestry needle
HELPFUL ABBREVIATIONS GUIDE
sl st=slip stitch
[ ]=Instructions between brackets are repeated as directed.
Gauge: Using Size G hook and White Pompadour yarn 16 dcs and 8 rows = 4 inches.
With white, ch 3, join with sl st in first ch made to form a ring.
Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), work 11 dcs in ring, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch-3: 12 dcs.
Round 2: Ch 3, work 1 dc in same st, work 2 dcs in each remaining st around, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch-3: 24 dcs.
Round 3: Ch 3, work 1 dc in same st, dc in next st, [work 2 dcs in next, 1 dc in next st] around, join with sl st in top of beginning ch-3: 36 dcs.
Round 4: Ch 3, work 1 dc in same st, work 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, [work 2 dcs in next st, work 1 dc in each of the next two dcs] around, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch-3: 48 dcs.
Rounds 5-9: Ch 3, work 1 dc in each st around, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch-3: 48 dcs.
Round 10: Ch 1, sc in fp of the same st, [sc in bp of next st, sc in fp of next st] around, join with a sl st in beginning ch-1: 48 scs.
New Year’s Streamers:
- With colored yarn, ch 25, work 3 scs in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch. Fasten off, leaving a tail of yarn. Fasten tail of yarn to center top of hat.
- Repeat to make streamers in different colors. Vary the length of the streamers by starting with from 10 to 25 chs.
Crafter’s Note: Change the color of the hat and streamer to fit the season.
Crocheted Baby Cap Craft originally sent in by Dorothy Buick of Mahopac, New York. Crocheted Baby Cap Craft photography by Country Woman Magazine.