The cheer these tulips sprout lasts throughout the entire year.
- Worsted-weight yarn—one skein each or scraps of red and green
- Size F/5 (3.75mm) crochet hook
- 1/8-inch dowel (number of dowels needed depends on number of flowers and length of stems in your arrangement)
- Craft knife
- Green acrylic craft paint and small
- Tacky (white) glue
- Small basket
- Floral foam or Styrofoam cut to fit basket
- Green Easter grass or Spanish moss to cover foam
- With red, ch 4, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring. Work in rounds without turning.
- Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), work 9 more dc in ring, join with sl st in top of ch-3: 10 sts.
- Round 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in each of next 4 sts, work 2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 4 sts; join with sl st in top of ch-3: 12 sts.
- Round 3: Ch 3, dc in same st, * dc in next dc, work 2 dc in next dc; rep from * around, ending with a dc in last dc; join with sl st in top of ch-3: 18 sts.
- Round 4: Ch 3, dc in each dc around; join with sl st in top of ch-3 sp: 18 sts.
- Round 5: * Ch 3, work 1 sc and 1 dc in next dc, work 1 sc in next dc, sl st in next dc; rep from * around, ending with sl st in base of first ch-3. Fasten off and weave in loose ends.
- Repeat, making as many flowers as desired for your arrangement.
- With green, ch 14, dc in third ch from hook, dc in next 4 chs, sc in next 3 chs, sl st to end. Fasten off and weave in loose ends.
- Repeat, making one or two leaves for each flower or as many as desired.
STEMS: Use craft knife to cut stems from dowel, varying the length for each flower in your arrangement. Paint stems green. Let dry.
FLOWER CENTERS: Tie a piece of green yarn in an overhand knot. Trim ends to 1/4 in. from knot. Repeat, making one center for each flower if desired.
- Glue the end of a dowel stem to the center ring of each flower and glue leaves to the sides of the dowel stems as shown in photo.
- Glue one flower center inside each flower, covering end of dowel.
- Place foam inside basket and spot-glue to secure. Apply glue to top of foam and cover with Easter grass or Spanish moss. Place dowel stems into basket, arranging tulips as desired.
FINISHED SIZE: Each flower measures about 2-3/4 inches across x 2-1/4 inches high. Each leaf measures about 1/2 inch across x 3 inches long. Size of arrangement will vary depending on length of stems and size of basket.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc double crochet
- rep repeat
- sc single crochet
- sp(s) space(s)
- sl st slip stitch
- st(s) stitch(es)
- * Instructions following asterisk are repeated as directed
Crocheted Tulips from Lois Kirik of Union City, Pennsylvania