Craft this Easter basket using this simple crochet pattern.
- 44-in.-wide 100% cotton or cotton-blend fabric: one or more colors or patterns totaling 2 yds.
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Quilter’s ruler
- Size P (11.5 mm) crochet hook
- Stitch marker
- Patterns below
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Stiffened felt: one 3-1/2-in. square each of orange and white
- One 1-1/2-in. flower button: pink or color of choice
- Coordinating six-strand embroidery floss
- Tapestry needle
- 1-in. metal pin back
- Tacky glue
HELPFUL ABBREVIATIONS GUIDE
sc single crochet
sl st slip stitch
- First download the Easter basket patterns.
- Use rotary cutter and mat to cut fabric into 1-in.-wide strips. Cut lengthwise strips from largest piece and crosswise strips from smaller pieces.
- Cut a 1/2-in.-long vertical slit in each end of the fabric strips as shown in the patterns.
- Join fabric strips by threading a strip through one cut slit of another strip. Then thread that end back through the cut slit on the opposite end and pull tight to make one long strip.
- Roll joined fabric strips into a ball and use like yarn.
- Rnd 1: Ch 6, sl st into first ch, made
to form a ring.
- Rnd 2: Work 12 sc into center of ring. Place stitch marker in last sc made and move with each rnd to aid in counting stitches. Do not turn.
- Rnd 3: Work 2 sc in each sc around: Count 24 sc.
- Rnd 4: Work (2 sc in next sc, sc in
next sc) around: Count 36 sc.
- Rnd 5: Work (1 sc in each of next
two sc, 2 sc in next sc) around: Count 48 sc.
- Rnd 6: Work sc in each sc around: Count 48 sc.
- Rnd 7: Work (1 sc in next sc, sc next
2 sc tog) around: Count 32 sc.
- Rnds 8-14: Work 1 sc in each sc around: Count 32 sc.
- HANDLE: Sl st into first sc of Rnd 14. Remove stitch marker. Ch 25, sl st into 16th sc of Rnd 14, directly opposite first ch, sl st into 17th sc of Rnd 14, work 1 sc in each ch of handle, sl st into 2nd sc of Rnd 14. Fasten off and weave in all loose ends. If desired, thread a length of 18-gauge wire through weave to shape handle.
- Trace flower patterns onto tracing paper. Cut large flower from orange felt and small flower from white felt.
- Center white felt flower on top of orange felt flower, and center button on it.
- With tapestry needle and embroidery floss, sew button and felt flowers together.
- Center pin back on the back of flower and glue. Let dry.
- Attach flower to basket as shown.
Finished Size: Easter Basket Template will measure approximately 8 in. wide by 5 in. high.