Snuggle up in this cranberry-red afghan with its pretty cable pattern and enjoy a comfy, close-knit holiday.
Cozy Knitted Afghan
- Brown Sheep SuperWash Worsted
(100% worsted wool in 50g/100-
yard balls)* or any worsted-weight
yarn that works to same gauge—
- 26 balls of Shane’s Red (MC)
- two balls of Alabaster (CC)
- 36-inch-long size 6 circular knitting
needle or size needed to obtain
- Cable needle
- Two stitch markers
- Yarn needle
In cable pattern, 25 sts and 28 rows = 4 inches.
Rows 1, 5, 7, and 9 (RS): K 8; * p 3, k 8; rep from * across row.
Rows 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 (WS): P 8; * k 1, yo, k 2 tog, p 8; rep from * across row.
Row 3: Sl 4 sts to cn and hold in front, k 4, k 4 from cn; * p 3, sl 4 sts to cn and hold in front, k 4, k 4 from cn; rep from * across row.
Repeat these 10 rows for pat.
Note: Sl the first st of every row, counting it as the first k st.
- With MC, cast on 262 sts. Work in garter st for 9 rows (5 ridges).
- Set up pattern on next RS row: K 6, place marker; work row 1 of cable pat over next 250 sts; place marker, k 6.
- Keeping first and last 6 sts in garter st and remaining sts in cable pat, work even until throw measures 53 in. from beginning, ending with row 5. Work in garter st for 9 rows (5 ridges). Bind off all sts. Use yarn needle to weave in loose ends. Block.
- Woven stripes: Cut 88 2-yd.-long strands of CC. Holding four strands together, weave yarn through yo spaces between cables, going over then under 2 bars each time. For fringe, adjust ends evenly, tying each group in an overhand knot. Trim ends even.
- CC: contrasting color
- cn: cable needle
- k: knit
- MC: main color
- p: purl
- pat: pattern
- rep: repeat
- RS: right side row
- sl: slip
- st(s): stitch(es)
- tog: together
- WS: wrong side row
- yo: yarn over
Cozy Knitted Afghan measures about 42 inches x 54 inches.