Keeping winter out of your hair is both easy and stylish with this pretty striped cap.
- Worsted-weight yarn—one skein each of red and white (or colors of your choice)
- Size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- 3-inch piece of cardboard
GAUGE: Working in sc in back loops only, 4 sts and 3 rows = 1 inch.
With red yarn, ch 36.
- Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook, sc in each ch across (35 sc), turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, working in back loops only (download Back Loop), sc in each sc across, turn.
- Rows 3-9: Repeat Row 2. Fasten off at end of Row 8, turn.
- Rows 10-18: Join white with sl st in first st, repeat Row 2 with white. Fasten off at end of Row 16, turn.
- Rows 19-27: Join red with sl st in first st, repeat Row 2 with red. Fasten off at end of Row 27, turn.
- Rows 28-54: Repeat Rows 10-27, then Rows 10-18.
- Row 55: Repeat Row 2 with red.
- Row 56: Bring Rows 1 and 55 together. Matching sts, sc the opposite side of foundation (beginning) ch and sc row together to form a tube. Fasten off.
- Weave in ends with tapestry needle.
BOTTOM CUFF EDGING:
- Round 1: From wrong side with red, sl st in end of Row 55; ch 1, make 10 sc in end of rows of each color section around, sl st in top of beginning sc (60 sc).
- Rounds 2-3: Ch 1, sc in each sc, sl st in top of beginning sc. Fasten off at end of Round 3. Weave in ends. Fold up cuff.
- Use red yarn on tapestry needle to make a Running Stitch along top edge of hat, leaving long yarn ends. Gather up tightly and fasten off yarn ends securely.
- Pom-Pom: Wrap yarn 100 times around 3-in. cardboard. Tie a separate 10-in. piece of yarn tightly around the center of the loops, then slide off cardboard. Cut ends, trimming to rounded shape. Stitch securely to top of hat.
- ch chain
- sc single crochet
- sl st slip stitch
- st(s) stitch(es)
Cozy Crocheted Cap from Barbara Hamilton of Sauk City, Wisconsin