Check out this cheery tree skirt—it will encircle your tree in classic Christmas colors this December!
- 4-ply worsted weight yarn (Jacqueline used Red Heart Classic)—6 ounces of Country Red, 12 ounces of Paddy Green and 3 ounces of Eggshell
- Size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Five sets of large snaps
- All-purpose thread—green, red and off-white
- Hand-sewing needle
- Tapestry or yarn needle
GAUGE: 16 dcs and 7 rows = 4 inches. Slight variations in gauge will change the finished size of the tree skirt a bit.
- Each color on chart represents the color of yarn used.
- Each green, red and off-white square on chart represents 1 dc.
- Rows 1-3 are written out in the directions to help establish pattern. Follow chart as directed for remaining rows.
- Follow chart from bottom to top, reading from right to left on odd-numbered rows and from left to right on even-numbered rows. Repeat chart six times across each row, working (dc, ch 3, dc) in each ch-3 sp between each repeat and working ends as directed.
Changing colors: Colors are always changed while completing the last st made with the current color. Work dc until there are 2 lps remaining on hk, drop current color, yo with the new color, draw new color through lps on hk and continue stitching with new color. Drop the current color when a new color is used so it can be picked up again when needed.
- Row 1: With Country Red, ch 75; dc in fourth ch from hk for first dc, dc in each of the next 5 chs for side opening edge, [ch 3, dc in each of the next 11 chs] across: count 72 dcs and 6 ch-3 sps.
- Row 2: Ch 3, turn, referring to chart, work as follows: [work 1 dc in first dc and in each remaining dc across to next ch-3 sp, (dc, ch 3, dc) in ch-3 sp] across to last 6 sts, sk 1 dc, dc in each of the next 5 dcs: count 84 dcs and 6 ch-3 sps. Fasten off Country Red.
- Row 3: Attach Paddy Green, ch 3 for first dc, turn, work 1 dc in each of next 4 dcs, sk 1 dc, referring to chart, work as follows: [(dc, ch 3, dc) in next
- ch-3 sp, dc in each dc] across to last dc, work 2 dcs in last dc: count 96 dcs and 6 ch-3 sps.
- Rows 4-37: Working in established pattern, follow chart for remaining rows, changing colors as shown and keeping 6 sts along side opening edge. Do not fasten off at end of Row 37.
- Referring to Fig. 1a-c included in the following Tree Skirt Art & Tree Skirt Art2, work 1 reverse sc in each st along bottom of tree skirt. Fasten off.
- With same side facing, attach Country Red to top of tree skirt. Work 1 reverse sc in each st across top. Fasten off.
- Use tapestry or yarn needle to weave in all loose ends.
- Finishing: Referring to Tree Skirt Chart for position, use matching all-purpose thread and hand-sewing needle to hand-sew one half of each snap to right side of side opening edge.
- In same way, sew other half of each snap to corresponding position on wrong side of opposite side edge of tree skirt. Overlap edges and fasten snaps to close.
- Wrap up your evergreen with this sweet skirt!
FINISHED SIZE: Tree skirt measures about 45 inches across.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- hk hook
- lp(s) loop(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- sp(s) space(s)
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- st(s) stitch(es)
- yo yarn over
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
- [ ] Instructions between brackets are repeated as directed.
Colorful Crocheted Tree Skirt from Jacqueline Jewett of Blauvelt, New York