To keep a step ahead during this busy season, be sure to add these crocheted slippers to your list.
- Worsted-weight yarn—3 ounces of red and small amounts of both green and white
- size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- yarn needle
- 4-inch square of cardboard
GAUGE: 7 hdc sts = 2 inches and two rows in hdc + one row in sc = 1 inch.
SLIPPER (Make two): Beginning at toe with red, ch 3.
- Round 1: Work 9 hdc in third ch from hk, join with sl st in top of beg ch-2: 10 hdc, including beg ch 2.
- Round 2: Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), hdc in base of ch-2, 2 hdc in each st around, join with sl st in top of beg ch-2 (20 hdc).
- Round 3: Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), hdc in base of ch-2, (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st) around, join with sl st in top of beg ch-2: 30 hdc.
- Rounds 4-5: Ch 1, sc in each st around, join in top of beg sc.
- Rounds 6-7: Ch 2, hdc in each st around, join in top of beg ch-2.
- Rounds 8-11: Repeat Rounds 4-7. Fasten off at end of Round 11.
- Row 1: With WS facing, join red with sl st in fifteenth st of Round 11, ch 7, fasten off; join red again with sl st in same st of Round 11, ch 8, hdc in third ch from hk, hdc in each ch and st across to beg ch-7, hdc in each ch of beg ch-7: 44 hdc.
- Row 2: Ch 2, turn, hdc in each st across.
- Rows 3-4: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across.
- Rows 5-6: Ch 2, turn, hdc in each st across.
- Rows 7-13: Repeat Rows 3-6 once, then Rows 3-5 once more. Fasten off for Small size only.
- Medium size only: Rows 14-16: Repeat Row 6, then Rows 3-4 once more. Fasten off at end of Row 16.
- Large size only: Rows 14-17: Repeat Row 6, then Rows 3-5 once more. Fasten off at end of Row 17.
- Fold last row in half, matching beginning of row to end of row. With tapestry needle and red yarn, sew last row together for center back seam.
TRIM: Round 1: Join red with sl st at center back seam, ch 1, sc around top edge, working 2 sc in end of each hdc row, sc in end of each sc row, sc in each st and 3 sc at each front corner. Join with sl st in beg sc. Fasten off.
Round 2: Join green with sl st in beg sc at center back seam, (ch 1, sl st in next st) around, join with sl st in beg sl st. Fasten off.
POM-POM: Holding one strand each of red, green and white yarn together, wind 45 times around cardboard. Tie a separate 10-inch piece of yarn tightly around center of loops as shown here: Pom Pom, then slide off of cardboard. Cut yarn ends opposite tie, trimming to rounded shape. Stitch securely to center front of slipper.
FINISHED SIZE: Directions are given for a Women’s size Small (9 inches). Changes for sizes Medium (9-1/2 inches) and Large (10 inches) are included.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Christmas Slippers from Ruth Shepherd of Chickasaw, Alabama