This crocheting crafts use double-ended hooks and the result is fabulous!
Christmas Crocheted Afghan
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn (Darla used Red Heart Super Saver and Red Heart Classic yarn)—35 ounces of Cherry Red, 28 ounces of White and 12 ounces of Paddy Green
- 10-inch-long size P double-ended crochet hook (Cro-Hook) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- size N/15 (10mm) crochet hook
- size 13 tapestry needle
GAUGE: 12 sts and 16 rows = 4 inches. To save time, take time to check gauge.
Stitches used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
Directions: Before you begin, refer to gauge, stitches used, etc.
This piece is worked with two strands of yarn held together and worked as one throughout. As you work, remember that every lp has two strands. When picking up a lp in a horizontal st, always insert the hk under both strands of the top lp only.
STRIP (make 5):
- Row 1: With double-ended hk and two strands of Cherry Red held together as one, ch 23 (remembering that the lp on hk never counts as a ch); insert hk in top lp of second ch from hk, yo and draw yarn through so there are 2 lps on hk; * insert hk through top lp of next ch, yo and draw yarn through, adding another new lp; rep from * across: count 23 lps on hk. Slide all stitches to opposite end of hook, then turn hk so these sts are at left end of hk. Leave Cherry Red uncut to be picked up and worked again later.
- Row 2: With two strands of White held together as one, make a slip knot on left end of hk and draw this lp through first lp on hk; * working from left to right, yo and draw yarn through next 2 lps on hk (one of each color); rep from * until 1 lp remains. Do not turn work.
- Row 3: Working from right to left with White, ch 1, insert hk through top lp of second horizontal st, yo and draw through a new lp, insert hk under next vertical bar, yo and draw through a new lp; * sk next horizontal st and vertical bar, insert hk through top lp of next horizontal st, yo and draw through a new lp, insert hk under next vertical bar, yo and draw through a new lp; rep from * across: count 23 lps on hk. Slide all sts to opposite end of hk and turn hk as before. Leave White uncut to be picked up and worked again later.
- Row 4: Working from left to right with Cherry Red, yo and draw yarn through first lp on hk; * yo and draw yarn through 2 lps on hk (one of each color); rep from * until 1 lp remains. Do not turn work.
- Row 5: Rep Row 3 with Cherry Red instead of White.
- Row 6: Rep Row 4 with White instead of Cherry Red.
- Rows 7-144: Rep Rows 3-6, ending with a Row 4.
- Row 145: Working from right to left with Cherry Red, ch 1, sk first vertical bar; * insert hk in top lp of next horizontal st, yo and draw yarn through this st and the lp on hk; rep from * across. Fasten off Cherry Red. Cut White.
- Edging: Rnd 1: With the predominantly red side of strip facing you and Row 145 at the top, use size N hk to join two strands of Cherry Red with a sl st in the upper right corner of strip, ch 3, work 2 dcs in same sp; working in sts at top and bottom edges of strip and in the end of each row on long edges of strip, * [ch 1, sk 1 st (or row), dc in next st] to corner, ending last rep with 3 dcs in corner st; rep from * around, ending with a sl st in top of beg ch-3. Fasten off.
- Rnd 2: Join two strands of Paddy Green with a sc in first dc of any corner 3-dcs. * Work 3 scs in each corner dc, [dc in skipped st (or row) below next ch-1 sp, sc in next dc] to next corner; rep from * around, ending last rep with a sl st in beg sc. Fasten off.
- Add edging to two more strips in the same way. Turn the remaining two strips over so the predominantly White side is facing, then add the two rnds of edging as before.
- ASSEMBLY: With the predominantly red side of one strip facing the predominantly white side of another strip and edges even, whipstitch one long edge of two strips together through back lps only with Paddy Green.
- Continue to add strips in this manner so the colors alternate.
- Afghan edging: A-Rnd 1: Join Paddy Green with a sl st in any st, ch 2, hdc in each st around, join with a sl st in top of beg ch-2. Fasten off.
- Use tapestry needle to weave in loose ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan is about 67 inches long x 51 inches wide.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Christmas Crocheted Afghan from Darla Fanton of Portland, Oregon