These black cats will bring only the best of luck to your home this Halloween…serving candy or in any number of other uses to which you can easily adapt them.
Black Cat Crochet Candy Dish
- Worsted-weight yarn—3 ounces of bright orange, 1 ounce of black and small amount of white
- size I/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- metal rings—one 5-inch and one 9-inch; yarn needle
- twenty-two 1/4-inch movable eyes
- glue gun and glue sticks
GAUGE: In hdc using two strands of yarn, first 4 rounds = 5 inches.
Note: JOIN: Join with sl st in top of beg ch-2, unless otherwise indicated.
DIRECTIONS: Refer to crocheting/knitting abbreviations below.
BLACK CATS (Make 10): Use two strands of yarn throughout. With black, ch 3.
- Round 1: 11 hdc in third ch from hk, join.
- Round 2: Ch 3, sl st at base of ch-3 (ear); sc in next 2 sts; (sl st, ch 3, sl st) in next st (other ear); sl st in each rem st around, join with sl st at base of beg ch-3. Fasten off black. Weave in ends.
- Finishing: Glue two eyes on each black cat. Weave two 1-inch pieces of white yarn with a 3/8-inch stitch across center below eyes.
- Cut a 6-inch piece of orange yarn. Take a stitch with the piece of yarn at center bottom edge of one black cat, pulling ends to extend evenly. Tie ends into a tiny bow. Repeat for remaining black cats.
DISH: Use two strands of yarn throughout. With bright orange, ch 5, join with sl st to form ring.
- Round 1: Ch 2 (counts as an hdc here and throughout), 9 hdc in ring, join: 10 hdc.
- Round 2: Ch 2, hdc in base of ch-2, 2 hdc in each st around, join: 20 hdc.
- Round 3: Ch 2, hdc in base of ch-2, (hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st) around, hdc in last st, join: 30 hdc.
- Round 4: Ch 2, hdc in base of ch-2, (hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st) around, hdc in last 2 sts, join: 40 hdc.
- Round 5: Ch 2; hold 5-inch metal ring behind work, working in back lps only over ring, hdc in each st around, join.
- Round 6: Working sts in sps between hdc sts of Round 5, ch 2, hdc in space under base of ch-2, ch 1, (sk next sp, 2 hdc in next sp, ch 1) around, join: 20 hdc groups.
- Round 7: Working sts over ch-1 sps of Round 6 and into top of skipped sts of Round 5, sl st into next ch-1 sp, [yo, insert hk in st under same ch-1 sp, yo, pull up a 1-inch lp, yo, pull through all lps, (yo, insert hk in same sp, yo, pull up a 1-inch lp, yo, pull through all lps) two times] for 3 long hdc, ch 1, * 3 long hdc over next ch-1 sp, ch 1, repeat from * around, join with sl st in top of beg st: 20 long hdc groups. Fasten off bright orange.
- Round 8: Join black with sl st in any ch-1 sp of Round 7; work 3 long hdc over same ch-1 sp into top of hdc group of Round 6, ch 1, sk next long-hdc group, * 3 long hdc over next ch-1 sp of Round 7 into top of next hdc group of Round 6, ch 1, sk next long-hdc group, repeat from * around, join with sl st in top of beg st. Fasten off black.
- Round 9: Join bright orange in any ch-1 sp, work 3 long hdc over same ch-1 sp into center st of long-hdc group of Round 7, ch 1, * 3 long hdc over next ch-1 sp into center st of next 3-long-hdc group of Round 7, ch 1, repeat from * around, join with sl st in top of beg long hdc.
- Round 10: Ch 1, sc in each st of next 3-long-hdc group, * 1/2-inch-long sc over ch-1 sp of Round 9 into center of 3-long-hdc group of Round 8, sc in next 3 sts, repeat from * around, 1/2-inch-long sc in next st over ch-1 sp of Round 9 into center of last 3-long-hdc group of Round 8, join with sl st in top of beg sc: 80 sts.
- Round 11: Ch 1; hold 9-inch metal ring behind work, working over ring, sc in each st around, join with sl st in top of beg sc.
- Round 12: Sl st into next st, ch 2, * sk next st, sc in next st, ch 1, repeat from * around, join with sl st in first ch of beg ch-2. Fasten off bright orange.
- Finishing: Weave in all ends.
- With black, form a chain to fit around top edge of dish, making it about 29 inches long. Fasten off, leaving 8-inch yarn ends. Weave chain over and under the sc sts of Round 12, stitching ends together and trimming them closely.
- * Use black yarn to hand-sew a black cat to the top of the dish with bottom edge along chain of Round 12 over an orange sc (one that has the black chain woven under it), skip the next orange sc and repeat from * to stitch the black cats around the top of the dish. (Chain forms front paws and Row 8 sts form back paws.)
FINISHED SIZE: Candy dish is 9 inches across x 4 inches high.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Black Cat Candy Dish from Ruth Shepherd of Chickasaw, Alabama