Craft these simple custom bath towels with appliques for a baby shower gift.
- Patterns below
- Light blue towel set—bath towel, hand towel and wash-cloth;
- 44-inch-wide cotton or cotton/polyester fabrics or fabric scraps—1/8 yard each of yellow and orange solids
- 1/4 yard each of paper-backed fusible web and tear-away stabilizer
- Thread to match fabrics and dark aqua thread
- Standard sewing supplies
- Black dimensional fabric paint
- Before beginning your bath towel craft, print the applique key, washcloth pattern, bath towel pattern and hand towel pattern.
- Pre-wash and dry bath towels and fabrics without fabric softeners or stain resisters.
- Trace individual applique patterns onto paper side of fusible web, tracing bath towel duck in one piece and adding underlaps as indicated by dashed lines on hand towel duck pattern. Trace enough footprints for washcloth applique to fit your washcloth. Patterns are reversed to allow for correct placement on towels after tracing and fusing steps.
- Cut out all shapes, leaving a 1/2-inch margin around each. Place fusible web shapes on wrong side of each appropriate fabric (as indicated on patterns) and fuse in place, following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer inside wing line on ducks by stitching along the lines traced on the paper backing before removing it from the pieces. Cut out pieces and peel off paper backing.
- Referring to applique pattern for placement, position pieces of bath towel centered 6-1/2 inches above lower edge and hand towel applique centered 4-1/4 inches above lower edge or above trim on both towels. Position washcloth appliques as shown in Fig. 1. Fuse all applique pieces in place. Position tear-away stabilizer on wrong side behind applique pieces.
- Use matching thread or dark aqua thread as indicated on patterns and medium satin zigzag setting on machine to applique bath towel in this order: left wing, body/head of duck, right wing and dark aqua details. Applique hand towel in this order: dark aqua details, feet and bill, body/head and wing. Applique washcloth in any order, adding dark aqua “splashes” between feet in medium satin stitch. Pull all thread ends to back of work and secure. Remove stabilizer.
- Add eyes to ducks with black dimensional paint; allow to dry 8 to 10 hours on a flat surface. Wait at least 7 days before washing (using warm water.).
Finished size of bath towels craft: Bath towel applique is 9 x 4 inches, hand towel applique is 4-1/4 x 4-1/4 inches and washcloth applique is 2-1/4 inches wide, repeated along one edge of the washcloth.
Bath Towel craft submitted by Gayla Cox of Edmond, Oklahoma.